Cottage Cheese Noodle Kugel is a delicious comforting dish!
There are a few foods I like to have in my freezer ready to eat! I like to have Chicken Soup & this Cottage Cheese Noodle Kugel in the freezer so that we can have some anytime we want!
This dish is dense with noodles… the cottage cheese is pureed with other ingredients in the food processor so there are not any pieces of cottage cheese ..but if you like the cottage cheese curds you can skip pureeing it & just mix the ingredients together by hand.
The recipe is from Norene Gilletz, The Pleasures of you Processor. I have changed a couple things in the recipe but not many
There are a few steps to making this…the noodles are cooked while you prepare the cottage cheese mixture, then after everything is mixed together the kugel is baked for about an hour until it is brown.
This is a perfect side dish, good for a buffet table… ( when we can have a group of people back in our homes!) or I like it for lunch. That is why i like to have it in the freezer..Top it with sour cream & berries or yogurt … I always have yogurt in the fridge so that is what I serve this with. Pop a frozen piece into the microwave to gently warm it up… a friend of mine likes to pour some maple syrup on it! Anyway you eat it …this is delicious
Here is the recipe.. adapted from Cookie’s Hot Milk Cheese Kugel
1 pkg (12 oz pkg )of medium wide egg noodles
1 1/2 cups creamed cottage cheese
4 tbsp sugar
1/2 cup plain yogurt.. any kind will work
2 cups milk
1/2 cup corn flake crumbs
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350f
Generously grease a 9 x 13 baking dish…my preference is a pyrex dish
- Boil the noodles as per instructions on the package. Drain & put back into the pot so you can mix the ingredients or use a big bowl
- Using your food processor, mix the cottage cheese, eggs, sugar & yogurt together until smooth. Add this to the noodles & mix well
- Next, add the milk to the noodles,, mix really well
- Pour this mixture into the greased baking dish
- Bake for 1 hour or more if needed until the kugel is nicely browned on the top, edges & bottom
- Let cool a bit to make cutting it easier. Cut into serving size squares, serve warm