This recipe is from a cookbook first published in 1975! WOK WITH YAN by Stephen Yan
I love this cookbook & used it so often years ago. I stored it away in my cookbook cupboard & kind of forgot about it! I am glad I found it!
You can adjust this recipe depending on what vegetables you have on hand. You might not have fresh ginger and garlic or even bean sprouts. I had a can of bean sprouts that I had picked up along time ago. I also do not have oyster sauce so I used hoisin sauce instead… I changed the recipe quite a bit but used the one in the book as a guide. You can do that too! Look at the recipe then see what you have in the house … tofu in place of the beef… chicken… just veg..it is really about the sauce & the vegetables you use. Frozen veg will be good too! I feel like I don’t want to use my fresh vegetables because I don’t know when I will get more..but also I do not want them spoiling!!! So use what you have & enjoy your dinner!
8 oz (226 gr) beef minute steaks or stir-fry beef
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp corn starch
1 tbsp oil
1 can of bean sprouts or 1 pkg of fresh bean sprouts…. rinse the can of sprouts really well & if you are using the fresh ones, clean them very well… I clean them in water with vinegar…then rinse
1 carrot. scrape, clean & cut thinly at an angle
1 celery stalk, thinly slice
1 red pepper, slice thinly
5-6 mushrooms..or a can if you do not have fresh, clean & slice
NOTE.. if you have an onion you can add a small onion or 1/2 of one
1 tsp ginger powder
1 tsp garlic powder
For the Sauce
2 tsp sugar
3 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp Hoisin sauce
1 tsp salt
2/3 cup water
- Marinate the beef with the soya source & corn starch… mix well so all of the meat is coated, set aside for 5 – 19 minutes
- Mix the sauce ingredients & set them aside
- Heat a wok or large frying pan with deep sides & add the 1 tbsp oil
- Cook the beef stirring often so that the beef does not stick to the pan & cooks evenly. Once the beef is cooked, remove the beef, put it on plate orin a bowl & set aside
- Next you will cook the vegetables…I stir-fried all of the vegetables at one time in the same pan I cooked the beef in. Cook until the mushrooms have released their liquid…
- Add the prepared bean sprouts & mix into the vegetables
- Pour the sauce into the vegetable mixture & stir well
- Add the cooked beef, mix well, bring this to a boil & cook for a few minutes
Serve over rice or noodles!
You must log in to post a comment.