Potato Leek Soup.. one of our favourite soups especially in the fall!
I have adapted this recipe from Chatelaine Magazine. I don’t remember when I started making this soup but it has been many years. I have a ripped out piece of paper from the magazine… & no date…so I am not sure when the recipe is from!!
There is an option to make this soup with cream but I never have. I like to make it vegan/parve. I make this Potato Leek Soup parve… which is not vegan…since parve food can have eggs & honey in it, but there is not any meat products or dairy products in parve food… but this soup fits both criteria…vegan & parve
It is simple to make & cooks for about an 40-60 minutes or so… I like to let it simmer until everything looks soft & can be easily pureed…
Note: This soup gets thick in the fridge so I always add a bit of water just to thin it out before warming it up to eat…too much water will dilute the taste so just use a bit!
Here is the recipe
3 large potatoes ***I used russet but it does not matter what kind of potatoes you use *** you need about 4 cups of chopped potato
3 stalks of celery
2 large carrots
2 tbsp oil…you can use any oil here that you like to use
6 – 8 cups vegetable stock *** I only had 4 cups of vegetable broth so I added 2 cups of water,,,
salt & pepper
optional to garnish… crispy onions… dill
- Prepare the vegetables …Cut the dark green parts off the leeks & throw away….. slice the white part of the leeks down the middle. Submerge these in a bowl of water & wash them.. than shake off the water. Cut the washed white part of the leeks into 1/2 inch slices… set aside… I put them into a bowl
- Chop the onion & add to the bowl with the leeks
- Peel & chop the potatoes…set aside…I put them into another bowl
- Chop the celery & carrots & add them to the bowl of potatoes
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil
- To the pot, add the prepared leeks & onions, sauté until soft, stirring often. This can take about 10 minutes depending on the size you cut the leeks & onions
- Now, add the potatoes,, celery & carrots to the leeks & onions, stir to mix it all together
- Pour 6 cups of vegetable stock into the pot, mix well
- Bring the soup to a boil, then lower the heat, cover & simmer the soup until all of the vegetables are tender… 30 – 60 minutes.. I found at 30 minutes the vegetables were not ready to puree so I continued to cook the soup until the vegetables were soft
- Puree the vegetables with an immersion blender..or if you don’t have one of those, you can puree the soup in a blender or food processor.. you will have to do this in a few batches I think, putting the pureed soup into a different pot then the pot you made the soup in..
- When the soup is pureed, it is very thick so if you want your soup thinner, add more broth..a cup at a time, stir until your soup is the consistency you want it to be. Warm the soup through before serving
- Season to taste
- I garnished the soup with some crispy onions.. I used French’s Crispy Fried Onions & sprinkled some dill on…but you can eat this soup ungarnished as well!!
You must log in to post a comment.