This year I made my mom’s apple cake with raisins mixed into the apples…
Murray (my husband loves raisins) so as I was making this cake I thought I would add some raisins to the apples & it is delicious. The recipe is the same as Mom’s Apple Cake just with the raisins. I thought I would rewrite it with this addition. (I actually really like the raisins in this cake!!! )
I used apples from the tree in our back yard but any apple will work, if you like tart apples then use Granny Smith but I like the apples to be sweet in this cake so I generally use other types of apples..any kind I think look nice!
This cake is parve..non-dairy!
You can sprinkle some icing sugar on this cake before serving… put some icing sugar into a fine mesh colander & sprinkle the sugar over the top. I did not do this since I froze this cake to eat at another time
Here is the recipe
5-6 apples…enough to make 4 cups of cut up apples *** the recipe calls for tart apples, I use whatever I have usually!
1 cup of raisins
5 tbsp sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp flour
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
3 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup orange juice
Preheat the oven to 350f
Grease a tube pan – I spray my pan with a non-stick spray
- Thinly slice the apples, you can peel them or not, depends on your preference & put the apples into a large bowl
- Add the raisins to the sliced apples
- Mix the sugar, cinnamon & flour into the apple slices & raisins making sure that all of the fruit is covered with the sugar/cinnamon/flour
- Set this aside
- Cream the 1 cup of oil & 2 cups of sugar together in the bowl of a mixer. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to make sure that all of the sugar & oil are combined
- Add the 4 eggs to the bowl & mix well
- Combine the 3 cups of flour & 3 tsp baking soda, I just put the baking powder on the flour & use a fork to mix the baking powder into the flout..
- Now, you will mix the flour & orange juice alternately to the mixture in the bowl…so add 1/2 of the flour..mix,,, add 1/2 of the orange juice…mix….then the rest of the flour….mix….now the balance of the orange juice…mix well, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed
Putting the Cake Together
- The batter & apples/raisin mixture is layered in the pan
- First kind of visually divide the batter in 3 & the apple mixture in half
- Put 1/3 of the batter over the bottom of the prepared pan & spread it out evenly making sure you cover the entire bottom of the pan
- Then spread half of the apple/raisins on top of the batter… try not to let the apples touch the edges or center of the pan..this just makes the cake stick…
- Put half of the remaining batter evenly over the apples… I use a spoon & dollop the batter over the use the back of the spoon to spread the batter around covering the apples
- Next, the rest of the apple mixture goes into the pan evenly over the second layer of batter
- Finally, the remaining batter is spread evenly over the last layer of apples…. again using a spoon to dollop the batter around & spread it evenly covering the apple mixture
Bake the cake in the preheated oven for about 60-75 minutes… test the cake with a cake tester to make sure it is cooked all the way through…the cake tester has to come out dry..then you know the cake is baked
Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack for about 30 minutes..it is a heavy cake & if you try to turn the cake out when it is hot, it will break…don’t rush the cake :))
I love this cake & hope you will enjoy it!!!