I have several recipes for noodle kugel on this blog…but maybe kugel is like chicken…lots of different recipes & I think they are all good in their own way
This recipe is the way my Baba & Mom made noodle kugel. When I was a young bride & moving out I asked my mom to tell me how to cook…I really did not cook when I lived at home so I needed help!
I have several ‘recipes’ from my mom…Just notes really written on index cards…. but luckily my sisters know how to make this family recipe so I could confirm with them to make sure I was making it right! I measured everything in order to write it out here… otherwise it is just a bit of this & a bit of that!
Here is a tip from my mom… when the kugel is just starting to crisp up…about half way through cooking it…take the kugel out of the oven & cut it into the size pieces you want to serve..this makes cutting it when it is finished cooking & crispy so much easier. When I forget to do this I always regret it!
This recipe is very simple…just basic ingredients ..nothing special but when it all comes together its delicious
Go buy 2 pkg of medium width egg noodles… you will need 4 eggs….sugar…salt, pepper, non-dairy margarine.. I like to use Becel Vegan margarine but you can use whatever you like … I prefer butter or oil but in some things I still use margarine!
Her is the recipe
2 pkg medium size egg noodles
1/4 cup margarine…i use a non-diary margarine
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp salt
4 eggs, beaten
2 tbsp Oil to grease the baking dish
Preheat oven to 350f.
One 9×13 baking dish…I use a Pyrex pan…
- Bring a large pot of water to boil & add the noodles..boil until very tender
- While the noodles are cooking…put the 2 tbsp of oil into the baking dish. Spread it around & put the baking dish into the preheated oven to heat up ( you don’t have to heat the pan up f you don’t want to)
- Drain the noodles & put them back into the pot…I mix everything together in the pot I boiled the noodles in…
- Put the margarine into the hot noodles & mix well, making sure the margarine melts & coats all the noodles before they cool too much
- Add the sugar while the noodles are still warm, mix well
- Now, taste the noodles to check the seasonings… you might have to add salt, pepper or even more sugar. I like the kugel to be sweet not overly so… Once you have the flavour you like then add the beaten eggs…
- I like to add the beaten eggs when the noodles have cooled a bit so the egg doesn’t scramble when it is mixed in there….
- Mix the noodles really well
- Remove the hot baking dish from the oven
- Pour the noodles mixture into the hot baking dish…be careful!
- Bake the kugel for 1 1/2 hours or so…
- Halfway through, remove the kugel from he oven & cut it into pieces, then put it back in the oven to finish cooking!!!
- When the top & bottom of the kugel are nice & brown, then the kugel is done!!