This recipe is a bit different than the usual matzo crunch that I have made before.. You can make this recipe with crackers if matzo isn’t your thing! or if you want to make it during the year!
Usually these recipes are made by putting a ‘toffee’ on top of sheets of matzo or a layer of crackers..or graham wafers like a recipe I have posted here before..Caramel Graham Wafer Squares
Then this is baked & chocolate is spread on top.
This recipe is from Martha Stewart. The matzo is broken up, mixed with sliced almonds, then coated in the caramel, spread onto a cookie sheet, backed then topped with chocolate
I really like it & it may just become my ‘go to’ dish for Passover & throughout the year!
Here is the recipe from Martha Stewart called Matzo Toffee
Ingredients ... I doubled the recipe so I am going to give you the ingredients for the amount I made & I made this dish parve
4 cups broken up matzo
2 cups sliced almonds
1 cup unsalted parve margarine
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt ( which I forgot to add)
1 pkg of chocolate chips… about 2 cups
Preheat the oven to 325f
Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment
- Put the broken matzo into a large bowl
- Add the sliced almonds & toss together
- In a saucepan, melt the margarine & brown sugar & salt together & bring to a boil over medium heat, stir constantly
- Once this mixture boils, pour it over the matzo & nuts in the bowl
- Mix & coat all of the matzo with the caramel
- Pour the coated matzo onto the prepared baking sheet & use a heat-proof spatula to spread it out evenly … I found that some of the matzo was not coated with the caramel & some of the nuts were clumped together, so using my spatula I just moved things around until it was evenly spread on the baking sheet & the nuts were distributed among the pieces of matzo & all of it was covered in the caramel!
- Bake this in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, it should be browned but not burnt!
- Remove from the oven
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly over the matzo. Let this sit for 5 minutes…Spread the softened chocolate evenly all over the matzo, I use a spatula to do this
- Put the baking sheet into the fridge so the matzo toffee can harden. Then break this into pieces & enjoy!!!