I love coconut! In a cake, in a chocolate bar,,,and in a cookie. Could these be one of the simplest cookies to make? I think so! Coconut Macaaroon Cookies are delicious!
The recipe for this Coconut Macaroon Cookie is on a magazine page that I ripped out of a Martha Stewart magazine many years ago. There are 3 recipes on the page ..one for a Chocolate Chunk Macaroon & one for a Chocolate Macaroon & then this one for a plain macaroon… I like all of them but when I asked Jacki (my daughter) which type she wanted me to make, the vote was for the delicious plain macaroon!
4 ingredients & a bit of salt…. the hardest part is putting the mixture into a nice blob on the cookie sheet. I used a cookie scoop which helped the mixture stay together..then I shaped it into a pyramid kind of shape..when they cooked the tops collapsed beautifully into the base of the cookie leaving a lovely gently domed top….yum!
Here is the recipe from Martha Stewart Living Magazine…year not remembered!
3/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
2 large egg whites, slightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt
Preheat oven to 350f
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper…2 if you have or you can use the same one again
- In a bowl, combine the sugar & coconut..Give it a stir
- Pour the slightly beaten egg whites over top of the coconut/sugar then add the vanilla & the salt
- Mix well…Use your hands! Using your hands is the best way to mix this but if you don’t want to… a spoon will work, just make sure you get all of it mixed up well
- Now, you will form cookies.. you can moisten your hands with water & form about 1 1/2 tbsp to 2 tbsp of mixture into a pyramid/haystack/shape. Put them on the prepared baking sheet about 1 inch apart…they spread. I used a cookie scoop, I pressed the coconut mixture into the cookie scoop so that it would stick together…then I shaped it into the pepper shape!
- Bake for about 15 minutes until they are nicely golden brown
- Let them cool briefly on the baking sheet, then remove them to cooling rack
You can drizzle melted chocolate chips over these cookies.. melt the chocolate chips with a bit of oil, mix well & then drizzle Let the chocolate harden before storing. You can freeze these cookies