Always a welcome dessert, it seems that everyone loves apple crisp… a crunchy sweet topping over some tart apples…
Apple crisp is so much simpler to make than pie…& I bet it is healthier too. Though I am no nutritionalist…but makes sense to me…though don’t get me wrong…I love pie!! But for a quick fruit dessert…apple crisp is a really delicious choice.
You can serve it alone or with ice cream…we had it with coconut whipped topping…that was good!
The recipe for this is by Norene Gilletz… Her CRUNCHY APPLE CRISP recipe in her cookbook THE PLEASURES OF YOUR FOOD PROCESSOR. I really follow the recipe almost exactly except I always use a non-dairy/parve margarine for the topping. Sometimes if I don’t have any non-dairy margarine I use some oil but the substitution for oil instead of butter is use less oil …so i usually try to half the amount of oil to the amount of butter called for….but if it seems dry I add more oil. ex. 1/2 cup of butter start with 1/4 cup of oil… And I use more apples, put them in a shallow baking dish…but use the same amount of topping as the recipe calls for using less apples
Anyway, there is not a lot to say about this simple delicious dessert so I will just get right to it.
Here is the recipe I used
3 lbs apples…I used granny smith this time but use any apple you like. The granny smith were very tart… *** Norenes recipe says to use 6 apples so if you don’t want as much as I made use less apples
1 cup raisins…. ***optional….I do not always add raisins
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup non-dairy margarine *** I use Becel vegan margarine
1/2 cup oats *** I use quick oats
1 tsp cinnamon
Mehod Preheat oven to 375f
Grease a 9 x 13 pan for the 3 lbs of apples or a square baking dish for the less amount of apples
- Prepare the apples, I peel & slice them thinly
- Put the apples into the prepared baking dish
- In a bowl, mis the topping ingredients together until crumblily & completely combined *** I use my hands to do this, but you can use a fork, or the food processor but just pulse it in the processor so that the oats do not get too fine…I like the topping to have the oat flakes in it..but it does not effect the taste
- Put the topping evenly over the apples
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35 – 40 minutes until the apples are cooked & the topping is brown