This soup is an instant pot recipe but you can make it on the stove as well of course. It cam together really quickly so either way you cook it, you can have this delicious soup in not too long!
The recipe is from Kitchen TREATY.. INSTANT POT CURRIED RED LENTIL SOUP
This soup is vegan …so good for everyone!
The red lentils add protein & thickens the soup when it is pureed..they break down when they are cooked more than green lentils…so I find that they are perfect to puree, when I use green lentils in a soup, I don’t usually puree it. There is curry & ginger in this soup which always gives a delicious flavour to anything!
One thing to remember when making soup in the Instant Pot is that the liquid does not cook down so whatever liquid you put in the pot comes out of the pot. If you are going to make this soup on the stove, it might be thicker if your liquid boils away a bit..so just watch the heat on the stove & don’t boil it too hard
Here is the recipe I changed the amounts of the ingredients a bit so I will put what I used…
1 tbsp olive oil
1 cup diced onion
2 tsp minced ginger
1 tbsp curry powder
4 carrots, diced
3/4 cup dried red lentils…rinse these
4 cups vegetable broth
1 tsp kosher salt…or to your taste
Method (I will put the method for the Instant Pot & the stove top here)
- Put your Instant Pot on the sauté function & add the oil, & sauté the diced onions until they are soft, stir often … On the stove… heat the oil in a saucepan & saute the onions until soft
- Now add the ginger & curry powder to the onion & mix well…cook for a minute or two until the spices become aromatic…( you can smell them!)
- Add the diced carrots, lentils, broth & salt & pepper to the Instant Pot or saucepan…mix well
- Now, close the lid to the Instant Pot according to the manufacturers instructions…make sure the vent is in the sealing position..& put the Instant Pot on Manual High Pressure 10 minutes. If you are using a saucepan, bring the soup to a boil, then lower the heat & simmer until the lentils & carrots are tender…
- When the Instant Pot is finished cooking you can manual release the pressure as the manufacturers instructions tell you ..Be careful. use an oven mitt or towel…and stand back…it is HOT steam coming out
- Once the soup is cooked in the Instant Pot or the saucepan, if you have a hand blender use it to puree he soup…if you don’t have that…use a blender to puree it
- Yo will see in the picture I didn’t garnish the soup with anything but you can always dress up the bowl if you want!! Maybe some chopped cilantro…or the recipe suggests some coconut milk
One thought on “Red Lentil, Carrot & Curry Soup”
Looks nice and tasty 🙂
You must log in to post a comment.