I love making ‘breakfast/brunch’ on the weekends. Whether it is eggs, french toast, waffles, the delicious list of breakfast foods goes on & on. I saw this recipe on bon appetit & had to make them. A soft, light in texture pancake studded with blueberries & topped with a delicious blueberry-lemon compote. Honestly, you must try these!
The recipe has a few steps to it. Make the compote, separate the eggs,…. beat the egg whites….make the pancakes…but it was well worth the effort.
The whipped egg whites make these pancakes so light in texture. Juicy berries nestled in the batter….then the not-to-sweet, slightly lemony compote on top….. YUM
Here is the recipe
Ingredients *** you will need a total of 4 cups of fresh blueberries
3 cups of fresh blueberries *** divided 2 cups & 1 cup
1/4 cup sugar
pinch of kosher salt
1 1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
4 large eggs
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour *** I used all white flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp kosher salt
3/4 cup buttermilk *** opps I put in 1 cup! but it was ok 🙂
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup of blueberries *** these are added to the batter when the pancakes are cooking in the frying pan
vegetable oil for the frying pan or griddle
To make the Compote
- In a medium saucepan cook 2 cups of blueberries, 1/4 cup sugar & a pinch of salt over medium heat until the berries burst & the mixture is thick.
- Add the lemon zest & the lemon juice & teh reserved 1 cup of blueberries. Bring this to a boil & remove from the heat.
- Reserve to serve with the pancake
To make the pancakes
- Separate the eggs. Reserve the yolks & put the whites into a mix-master with the whisk blade attached
- Beat the egg whites with the mixer on high speed… until they form soft peaks. Set aside
- In a large bowl, whisk the flours, baking powder, baking soda, 1 tbsp sugar, 1 tsp salt together set aside
- In a different bowl, whisk the egg yolks, ricotta cheese, buttermilk & vanilla together
- Add the egg yolk mixture to the dry mixture & stir to combine
- Fold 1/3 of the beaten egg whites into the batter, then add the remaining egg whites & fold them into the batter until combined well, but do not over-mix
- Use a frying pan or a griddle to cook the pancakes
- Heat the frying pan or griddle & brush with oil
- Using a 1/2 cup scoop or measuring cup…of course you can make these pancakes any size you want…. add the batter to the hot frying pan
- Put 2 tbsp of blueberries onto the top of the pancake that is in the pan
- Cook the pancakes until the bottoms are brown & bubbles form on top….recipe says about 3 minutes…
- Flip the pancake over & cook the other side until it is brown & the pancakes are cooked through *** reduce the heat if the pancakes are browning too quickly & not cooking through
- Serve with the blueberry compote, butter &/or maple syrup!
MAKING THE COMPOTE
MAKING THE PANCAKES