I have been making gefilte fish from scratch for years, but only make it twice a year. Rarely do I buy the pre-made frozen logs, though I like to have one on hand in the freezer “just In case”.
I found out, from a fellow Instant Pot user…Lawrence J LeVine, that the frozen log can be made in the Instant Pot! Usually, the log is boiled or baked, taking as long as 1 hour. In the instant pot, it took 20 minutes! I had to try. It turned out great!!! I will still make my own gefilte fish for the holidays every year, but if we want some during the year, this is absolutely how I am going to make it from now on! I might make sure I have a couple frozen loaves on hand!
I have updated this recipe. If you like your fish sweet add the sugar, if not omit it! We like sweet fish so the addition of the sugar here was great! Also I have taken out the parsnip that I used in the previous recipe.
Gefilte Fish in the Instant Pot
1 frozen gefilte fish log
3 carrots, peeled & cut into whatever size pieces you like
1 small onion, peeled & cut into quarters
1 – 2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
- Take the outer plastic wrap off the log but leave the parchment paper on it!!!
- Put the gefillte fish log into the Instant Pot, then the carrots, onion in around the log
- Put in enough water to come to half-way up the sides of the log. Add the sugar & salt
- LIft the log up so that a bit of water gets underneath it. Mine turned brown a bit on the bottom, so I am thinking that if there was a bit of water under the log that might prevent this. Bur the bit of brown did not effect the taste at all. It was not burnt.
- Put your Instant Pot together as per the manual, …put the lid on etc
- Put the setting to Manual 20 minutes, I used the Quick Pressure Release… on the Instant Pot website, it says that quick pressure release is good for delicate seafood, so that is what I did. USE AN OVEN MITT TO TURN THE VALVE!!! THE STEAM COMES OUT WITH A LOT OF PRESSURE & IT IS HOT!!! BE CAREFUL
- Take the fish & vegetables out of the pot, & chill until ready to serve. Slice it up & enjoy!
4 thoughts on “Gefilte Fish in the Instant Pot”
Hi there. Do you think I can do more than one loaf at a time? and then how long would I have to time it? thanks!
I have only done one but I just saw this post from someone who made 4!
She said in her comments that she put water to just touching the logs… I had more water then that
Here is her comments
I just made 4 Gefilte fish logs in my IP! I’m never making it any other way!
24 mins HP, 10mins NPR and perfect!
[…] The other 2 recipes I have made in the Instant Pot are My New Instant Pot! Corned Beef & Cabbage & Gefilte Fish in the Instant Pot […]
[…] Gefilte Fish in the Instant Pot […]
You must log in to post a comment.