I have been making gefilte fish from scratch for years, but only make it twice a year. Rarely do I buy the pre-made frozen logs, though I like to have one on hand in the freezer “just In case”.
I found out , from a fellow Instant Pot user…Lawrence J LeVine, that the frozen log can be made in the Instant Pot! Usually, the log is boiled or baked, taking as long as 1 hour. In the instant pot, it took 20 minutes! I had to try. It turned out great!!! I will still make my own gefilte fish for the holidays every year, but if we want some during the year, this is absolutely how I am going to make it from now on! I might make sure I have a couple frozen loaves on hand!
Here it is
Gefilte Fish in the Instant Pot
1 frozen gefilte fish log
3 carrots, peeled & cut into whatever size pieces you like
1 parsnip, peeled & cut the same way as the carrots
1 onion, peeled & cut into quarters
- Take the outer plastic wrap off the log but leave the parchment paper on it!!!
- Put the gefillte fish log into the Instant Pot, then the carrots, parsnip & onion in around the log
- Put in enough water to come to half-way up the sides of the log
- LIft the log up so that a bit of water gets underneath it. Mine turned brown a bit on the bottom, so I am thinking that if there was a bit of water under the log that might prevent this. Bur the bit of brown did not effect the taste at all. It was not burnt.
- Put your Instant Pot together as per the manual, …put the lid on etc
- Put the setting to Manual 20 minutes, I used the Quick Pressure Release… on the Instant Pot website, it says that quick pressure release is good for delicate seafood, so that is what I did. USE AN OVEN MITT TO TURN THE VALVE!!! THE STEAM COMES OUT WITH A LOT OF PRESSURE & IT IS HOT!!! BE CAREFUL
- Take the fish & vegetables out of the pot, & chill until ready to serve. Slice it up & enjoy!