I have fallen in ‘love’ with Nik Sharma’s recipes …he has a food blog called A Brown Table This Tandoori Spiced Chicken is delicious.
I was also given his cookbook, Seasons, as a gift!
I have posted one recipe, South Indian Chicken which is very delicious
Tandoori Chicken has dairy in it & since I keep a kosher kitchen I had to figure out a way to adapt the recipe! I actually contacted Nik & discussed it with him, he was great… he got back to me right away.
I used vegan coconut yogurt in place of the diary yogurt, You can use any vegan yogurt if you don’t want to use one made with coconut milk. Also, Nik used beets for the red colour but I did not have any so my chicken was not the traditional red of tandoori chicken. Here is a link to the recipe on Nik’s blog..homemade tandoori chicken – Nik Sharma
You need to plan ahead to make this recipe since the chicken marinades for 6 hours or overnight. The chicken is so flavourful marinaded for so long! This is simple to do, just put the chicken into the marinade the night before you will want to cook this then when ready to cook it is really simple.
I served this chicken with basmati rice & veg
This Tandoori Spiced Chicken is so delicious & I am very happy that I can make with the substitution of the yogurt for my kosher home!
Here is my very changed version of that recipe…
6 lbs boneless chicken breasts
2 cups vegan unsweetened plain coconut yogurt
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 cup finely diced red onion
4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped or minced
2 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled & finely diced
1/2 tsp ground cardamon
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
2 tbsp turmeric powder
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tbsp paprika
3/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 tbsp kosher salt
- Put the chicken into a large enough container that you can marinade the chicken in
- Mix the yogurt, lemon juice, red onion, garlic cloves, ginger, cardamon, cumin, turmeric, coriander, black pepper, paprika, cloves, red pepper flakes & salt together in a bowl. Use a hand blender to blend all of this together. Alternately, you can put these ingredients into a blender or food processor to mix it together
- Pour the liquid mixture all over the chicken, making sure that each piece of chicken has some marinade on it
- Cover & refrigerate to marinade …the recipe says 6 hours or maximum overnight
- *** if this is too much chicken for one time for you, Nik divided the chicken in 2 & froze half of the uncooked chicken to cook another time. I cooked all of the chicken, then froze the leftovers
- When you are ready to cook the chicken, I just put all of the chicken pieces into a large roasting pan, with all of the marinade.. I just dumped the contents of the container into the pan!
- Roast the chicken at 375f until it is completely cooked & nice & brown!!
- You can turn the chicken over to crisp up the underside if you want..then I always turn the chicken pieces back to the first side to finish it off