Be ready all the time with this Homemade BBQ Sauce! Keep this in your fridge & use it on everything, it is that good!
The recipe is from Bon Appetit…here is a link to the recipe.*** I did not have smoky paprika so I just used what I have..regular paprika.
I used this sauce on some chicken & it was delicious. I also marinated a flank steak in the Homemade BBQ Sauce. Grilled the steak & it was amazing!
This sauce takes about an hour to simmer on the stove…so it would be good to make it a day ahead if you don’t have the time the same day you want to use it.
Here is the recipe
2 tbsp oil
1/4 cup tomato paste
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup orange juice
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup molasses
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp mustard powder
3 cups water
- Heat the oil in a saucepan
- Add the tomato paste & cook until it turns a dark red, which the recipe says takes about 2 minutes…
- Now, add the dry spices,,, the garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cayenne pepper & black pepper & stir…. cook for about 1 minute or so until the spices become fragrant
- Add the vinegar, orange juice, brown sugar, molasses, worcestershire sauce & mustard powder, mix well
- Stir in the water
- Cook the sauce for about 50-60 minutes.. until the sauce has reduced by about half.
- Season with salt
- Use this sauce on chicken … season chicken pieces & cook on the grill until you have some grill marks..put some bbq sauce in a bowl keeping most of it in the pot….then baste the chicken with this bbq sauce often! You will not be able to re-use the sauce that you are basting the chicken with, so best to put a small amount in a bowl & add more if needed. Refrigerate the balance of the sauce that you have not dipped into! If you have bbq sauce leftover that you are using to baste the chicken, throw it out!