My friend Pnina gave me this recipe for Carrot Soup with Ginger & Curry many years ago & I am not sure where she got the recipe from. Pnina makes delicious soups & this is no exception.
This is a simple soup but the flavour is so satisfying. This Carrot Soup with Ginger & Curry is vegan!
It is one of my ‘go-to’ soups in the winter. Quick to make with everyday ingredients, it is perfect for any time!
The soup is cooked then pureed. I like to use an immersion blender, but a stand alone blender will work or a food processor… I would let the soup cool a bit before pureeing it in the food processor, just so you don’t burn yourself!
Here is an affiliate link to the immersion blender I use on Amazon.ca
I garnished this soup with some dried parsley but you do not have to if you do not have any or just don’t want to!!
This recipe is vegan….
Here is the recipe
2 tbsp oil
1 small onion, diced
1 tbsp grated ginger
1 tsp curry powder
2 lbs of carrots, cut into 1 inch chunks
1/4 cup rice
8 cups broth or water… I use vegetable broth but if I don’t have any, water is fine. You might just have to adjust the seasonings to add more flavor
Salt to taste
- In a large soup pot, heat the oil & add the onion. Sauté the onion until it is transparent & soft
- Add the grated ginger & mix well with the onion
- Add the curry powder, mix
- Add the carrots, rice & vegetable broth
- Bring to a boil, than lower heat so the soup is at a brisk simmer
- Cook the soup until the carrots are soft & the liquid cooks down a bit
- Let cool & puree, adjust seasonings