This recipe is very similar to a Pecan Pie but a bit different!
Not as sweet as Pecan Pie & the addition of the whiskey is so good….
The original recipe is from epicurious.com ….Bourbon Walnut Pie… i have changed it to make this pie parve… non-dairy & used whiskey instead of bourbon.
I was going through recipes I had saved on my phone & my son Seth had sent me a couple recipes he wanted me to try.. in 2013!! I was laughing with him that it took me 7 years to make this for him!! Of course he was fine !!! It was worth the wait..this pie is really good.
Simple to make & very sweet & delicious
Here is my recipe, inspired by epicurious.com
2 cups flour
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup Crisco shortnening
1 large egg
1 tbsp water
1 cup dark corn syrup
1/2 cup sugar
3 large eggs
2 tbsp vegan margarine, melted
1 1/2 tbsp flour
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp Whiskey
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup walnut halves
You need one 9 inch pie pan to bake this in
Preheat oven to 350f while the dough is chilling in the fridge
- I used a food processor to make this pie crust…. put the flour, sugar & salt in the bowl of your food processor. Pulse once or twice to combine these dry ingredients
- Add the Crisco shortening to the bowl in chunks. Pulse to mix until you see coarse crumbs
- Mix the egg & water together then add to the bowl of the food processor
- Process this just until the ingredients crumbs together. Be careful not to over-process!
- Turn the dough out onto a work surface, gather it together & form into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap & put in the refrigerator for about an hour. … Take the dough out a few minutes before you want to roll it out..this will make rolling it out easier if it isn’t hard from the fridge.
- The dough is just enough for the bottom crust.. there is no top crust in this recipe
- Mix the corn syrup, sugar, eggs, margarine, flour, vanilla, whiskey & salt together. A whisk works well for this
- Add all fo the walnuts & mix through… you will need a spatula for this or a large spoon. Set aside while you roll out the dough
Putting the pie together
- Roll out the dough to a 14inch round the recipe says
- Put the pie dough into the pie pan… lay it gently into the pan making sure it settles flatly into the bottom.
- Crimp the edges in any way you like.. I fold the edge over then crimp by pinching it around my finger
- Pour the filling into the pie crust.. give the pan a gentle shake to settle it into the crust
Bake in the preheated oven for about 55 minutes… If the crust starts to get too brown you can cover this gently with with a piece of foil…just lay it on top of the pie…but remove at least 5 minutes before taking the pie out of the oven. The filling needs to be set in the centre of the pie…
Cool on a cooling rack completely before serving…( the filling will be piping hot… so you don’t want to burn your tongue!! )