I love curry and this recipe for Curried Vegetables is so delish. You can eat them in a bowl over some rice or quinoa, rolled up in a wrap with some rice, on their own…with naan bread or pita….with added chickpeas or lentils or potatoes!
This recipe was inspired by one that I have had for years. I would have added a can of chickpeas, but I didn’t have one which is unusual! & the picture is just of the vegetables on their own & not over a bed of quinoa which is my preferred way to eat these vegetables. A curried vegetable bowl!
These Curried Vegetables with added chickpeas & served over quinoa it a perfect vegan meal! Everyone will love this! The curry flavour is mild & if you want it to have more curry flavour you can add some extra curry powder!
The recipe itself is easy to make the way you like it. Use whatever vegetables you like really. I would suggest you use the cauliflower as your main vegetable but then you can change it up! Use sweet potato instead of the butternut if you like, add some frozen peas, add a carrot… whatever you like. Just keep the quantities of the vegetbles close to the recipe so that the spices & sauce is adequate or make appropriate adjustments! I used some fresh veg & some frozen ones! Your choice!
Here is the recipe
1 med onion, diced
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp curry powder
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 head of cauliflower *** 4 cups cut up
2 cups butternut squash, cubed *** I used frozen butternut
1 cup broccoli florets *** I used frozen broccoli florets
1 can of chickpeas, drain & rinse *** You won’t see them in the picture because I didn’t have any…but you should use them
1 28 oz ( 796 ml) diced tomatoes
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp salt or to taste
1 can coconut milk
Cilantro leaves to garnish if you like cilantro!
- In a large saucepan, heat some oil, about 2 tbsp & add the diced onions. Sauté them until they are soft & start to brown a bit
- Add the turmeric, cumin, curry powder, garlic & red pepper flakes. Cook until the spiced begin to get fragrant
- Add the cauliflower, stir to coat the cauliflower with the spices & cook it until it softens up a bit. Stir often so it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot
- Add the butternut squash, the broccoli & the chickpeas. Mix well Cook for about 5 minutes until the frozen vegetables warm up! If you are using fresh, then they need to cook until they start to soften
- Add the diced tomatoes & the sugar & the salt. Mix well
- Bring to a boil & then turn the heat down to a simmer
- Add the can of coconut milk
- Simmer until the vegetables are cooked & the sauce has reduced & thickened a bit. Cooking time will depend on how big your vegetables are cut up, whether they are fresh or frozen so I will not really give you a time. I would say that I cooked it at this point for about 45 min. Stir often & keep your eye on it so it doesn’t stick to the bottom the pan
Garnish with cilantro leaves if you like cilantro!
Serve over a bed of rice or quinoa. With warm naan bread or pita
One thought on “Curried Vegetables”
[…] Curried Vegetables — Marilyn Dishes […]
You must log in to post a comment.