Farfel Cake... This cake is so delicious.. Filled with apricot jam or the jam of your choice I am sure you are going to love this! I do !!
The recipe is from a cookbook that my friend has & she shared it with me. I think it was a community cookbook from South Africa but I am not sure. The name of the recipes are included in the book after each recipe so that is why I think it is a community book! The contributors name for this recipe is B Abrahams
Perhaps I can describe this cake to you … the base is like a sweet shortbread kind of crust that is divided in half, one half of the dough pressed into a pie pan. * The original method is to grate the dough into the pan then press it in… but my friend suggested I just press it in the pan which she does & it was a quick & easy way to do the crust! This crust is topped with apricot jam then the remaining dough is grated over the top. Baked then cooled before digging in!
This Farfel Cake is super easy to make & you might be surprised how delish it is!
Note: The recipe calls for apricot jam for the middle but use any type of jam you like!
Here is the type of grater I like to use. *** Please note that I may get a small commission if you purchase this from this link
THIS IS AN AFFILIATE LINK
Here is the recipe
1/2 cup butter, softened *** if your butter is hard you can grate it into the bowl, this will soften it
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp oil
1 egg, beaten
2 tsp vanilla
2 cupa flour
pinch of salt
Apricot jam or jam of your choice
Preheat your oven to 350f
Grease a pie pan
You can make this dough by hand or in a food processor if you want. It is a quick & easy dough
- Beat the butter, sugar & oil together until smooth
- Add the egg & vanilla, mix well
- Mix in the flour forming a stiff dough
- Divide the dough in half
- Evenly press 1/2 of the dough into the prepared pie pan
- Spread the jam all over this layer of dough
- Using a large size hole on a grater, grate the remaining half of dough all over the jam evenly. Make sure the jam is completely covered with the grated dough
- Bake in the preheated oven for for apprize 1 hour but check on it to make sure it does not overtake… You want the crust completely baked & the jam to ooze up the sides a bit
- Let cool on a cooling rack
- Slice like a pie to serve