This recipe for Red Lentil Coconut Miso Soup is delicious! And… it is vegan!
This recipe for Red Lentil Coconut Miso Soup is from Chatelaine Magazine. I save recipes that I come across I folders attached to my gmail account & this recipe was in the Soup folder from January 2019. I like these folders but the problem is of course that I do to always look in them when I want to cook something.. but I am glad I found this recipe.
I had, surprisingly, all of the ingredients I needed for this soup. I like to have certain frozen vegetables on hand, frozen spinach, kale, butternut squash, peas, mixed veg, broccoli, green beans & cauliflower. All of these are terrific add-ins to stir-frys & soups. I recently bought an air-fryer and these frozen vegetables are fantastic cooked in the air-fryer! So, I had the ingredients I needed for this soup in the house, but it is so tasty it is worth buying the ingredients needed to make this!
Here is what you need to make this soup : 1 onion, carrots, frozen butternut squash, red lentils, coconut milk, veg broth, kale ( I used chopped frozen kale which I will put in the recipe), white miso paste. lemon juice is optional (You can get all of these ingredients at SuperStore in Canada, that is where I buy my frozen veg… presidents choice … but any brand will work of course) I find that the white miso is difficult to find but it is in the organic section at SuperStore, the one I like!
Using the frozen butternut squash & kale makes this soup very quick to prepare
I did not take pictures making the soup.. was not sure I would love it!! But I do! It is really simple to make & does to take long at all
Here is the recipe… I made a couple changes ..using the frozen kale & I added an extra cup of water as it was too thick for me
2 tbsp oil
1 medium size onion, chopped
2 carrots. chopped
1 tsp dried ginger
3 cups vegetable broth ( 1 900 ml carton )
1 can coconut milk ( 400 ml)
2 cups frozen butternut squash
1 1/4 cups red lentils, rinsed
2 cups of water ( you will use this amount of water divided up )
2 cups chopped frozen kale
1/3 cup white miso paste
salt to taste
1/2 lemon squeezed if you want! this is optional
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot, then add the chopped onion & carrots. Cook until softened but not browned
- Add the dried ginger & stir until fragrant, really only takes a few seconds
- Add the vegetable broth, coconut milk, butternut squash, red lentils & water. Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 15 minutes until the lentils & squash soften & the soup begins to thicken.
- Add the frozen kale, give it a good mix & let it defrost & warm through.
- At this point the soup was a bit thick so I added 1 cup of water
- Mix the remaining 1/2 cup water with the miso, using a whisk or fork, until the miso is combined well with the water & not lumpy, Add to the soup & mix well. Continue to warm the soup through. Taste & add salt if needed.
- You can add some lemon juice into the soup at this point if you want, it can brighten up the flavours.
- Now your soup is done!!