I saw this recipe for Roasted Eggplant & Fresh Tomato Salad & had to try it! It is a perfect salad to use some fresh veg from a Farmers Market!
The recipe is from Chatalaine.com. Grilled Eggplant Salad.
You can either grill or roast the eggplant for this salad. I grilled the eggplant the day before & put the salad together a few hours before our guests arrived & chilled it in the refrigerator.
I do not have any pictures making this dish…not sure why but I have decided to post it anyway because it was very good! Out guests loved it & this salad is a very different & interesting side dish! (Of course..it is good on its own as well)
Here is the recipe
2 large eggplant *** you can use 4 Japanese eggplants …I could not find any so I used the regular deep purple eggplants
2 tbsp olive oil
kosher salt …to sprinkle on the eggplant before cooking it
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1 clove garlic, minced
4 tsp capers, chopped
- If you are going to BBQ the eggplant, pre-heat your grill to medium. & grease the grill
- If you are roasting the eggplant, prepare a baking sheet..line it with parchment paper or with foil…spray the foil with non-stick spray if you are using this
- Wash the eggplant & trim the edges.
- To roast the eggplant, I cut it into 1 inch chunks.. I don’t like my eggplant pieces big or too thick. Toss the eggplant with the oil & put in a single layer onto the prepared baking sheet. Roast in a 400f oven until soft… the amount of time you roast the eggplant for depends on how big your pieces are…& how soft you like your eggplant! If you overdo the eggplant it can stick to the baking sheet & can be un-usable so you have to keep an eye on it in the oven! You can toss it once as well to help prevent sticking
- If you are grilling the eggplant, slice the eggplant ,..cut the eggplant in 3 slices lengthwise, brush them with oil & grill until soft… have the lid closed..turn the eggplant while it is cooking. Once it is cooked remove from the grill onto a cutting board. Cut the eggplant into chunks
- While the eggplant is cooking…cut the tomatoes into quarters & then each quarter into thirds… I wanted the tomatoes to be approximately the same size as the eggplant….but of course you can cut your eggplant & tomatoes into any size you prefer
- Now, make the dressing by combining the oil, red wine vinegar, salt & minced garlic
- Mix the cut-up tomatoes & dressing in a bowl large enough for you to add the eggplant to.. add the capers & mix
- When the eggplant is cooked, add it to the tomato mixture & stir!
- Season with salt if needed
I served this salad chilled!
One thought on “Roasted Eggplant & Fresh Tomato Salad”
[…] Roasted Eggplant & Fresh Tomato Salad — Marilyn Dishes […]
You must log in to post a comment.