OK… I buy crackers….but, I saw this recipe from Bon Appetit…& just had to try them. There is a huge problem though…they are soooo delicious that it is hard not to eat all of them at one time!
They were surprisingly easy to make. The dough has to chill for at least 4 hours or overnight…so you need to think ahead.
You should give these a try, they are delicious on their own but will be good with cheese or with the antipasto I make!
I had to find a jar of pimentos but as it turned out that was easier then I thought it was going to be! They were on the top shelf by the pickles in my grocery store!
The dough is mixed in the food processor so easy easy,,,I bought pre-shredded cheese, but a block of cheese is pretty straightforward to shred in the food processor before you start mixing the dough for the crackers
I had some leftover crackers so I have frozen them so I will have them for another time!
Here is the recipe from & the link to the recipe on the bon appetit website
4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup + 2 tbsp flour
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 cup jarred pimiento peppers
5 tbsp cold butter, cut into cubes
2 tbsp ice water
3 -5 tbsp sesame seeds
- Using your food processor, mix the cheddar cheese, flour, salt & cayenne pepper together until combined
- Add the pimiento peppers & pulse until the mixture turns orange…
- Now, add the butter cubes & pulse until the butter is in pea size pieces, recipe says this takes about 4-6 pulses
- Drizzle the water on & pulse again & check to see if the dough will hold together in your hands. If it is too dry & won’t hold together add another tablespoon of ice water & pulse again
- Remove the dough from the bowl, put it onto a work surface & form the dough into a tight 2″ log….
- Put the sesame seeds onto the work surface & gently roll the dough log in the sesame seeds making sure that they stick to all of the dough… I had to sprinkle some on the bald spots & press them in gently
- Wrap the dough tightly in plastic wrap & put in the refrigerator to chill for at least 4 hours or as long as overnight
- When are ready to bake the crackers, line a baking sheet with parchment, I needed 2 baking sheets. If you only have one then you can bake these crackers in 2 batches
- Preheat the oven to 350f with the rack in the middle of the oven
- Cut the chilled dough, I used a sharp knife, into rounds that are 1/8″-1/4″ thick
- Place on the prepared baking sheets
- The recipe says to prick the crackers with a fork to prevent them from bubbling up but I forgot to do this….
- Bake the crackers in the preheated oven for 25 – 30 minutes. Baking time will depend on how thick your rounds are
- Let the crackers cool on the baking sheets… they crisp up as they cool
One thought on “Cheddar Cheese Crackers with Pimento”
Oh, I bet these are delightful!
You must log in to post a comment.