I saw a Strawberry Cake on a blog I follow & adapted it a bit….
The recipe I adapted is from MarthaStewart.com Strawberry Cake
I wanted this cake to be non-dairy/parve so instead of butter I used a vagna margarine. Instead of milk I used water ( you can use any milk substitute you like, I just didn’t have any in the house!) This cake is small, I baked it in a pie pan.
This cake is moist & tender & the strawberries are just so delicious!
We ate this yummy cake with some strawberry ice cream & cut up fresh strawberries & blackberries…
Here is the recipe
6 tbsp vegan margarine
1 cup sugar + 2 tbsp of sugar for the top of the cake
1 large egg
1/2 cup water
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 pound/454 grams of strawberrys
Preheat oven to 350f
Grease a pie pan & set aside
- Cream the margarine & 1 cup sugar together in a mixer until pale & fluffy, takes about 3 minutes, scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula
- Lower the speed of the mixer & add the egg, water & vanilla. Mix well again scraping down the sides of the bowl.
- Using a fork mix the flour, salt & baking powder together
- Turn the mixer on low & add the flour mixture gradually to the bowl… scrape sides often to make sure all of the ingredients are combined
- Put the batter into the prepared pie plate & set aside
- Wash & pat the strawberrys dry
- Hull them & cut into half…or big ones into thirds…
- Arrange the strawberries cut-side down on top of the cake batter as close together as possible
- Sprinkle the 2 tbsp of sugar over the strawberries
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes then LOWER THE OVEN TEMPERATURE TO 325f & bake for about 1 hour until the cake is done..brown & firm to the touch
- Cool in the pan on a rack before eating!!
You must log in to post a comment.