Some nights I want a quick delicious meal that is vegetarian. This recipe fit the bill!
I always have a jar of red curry paste in the fridge and a back up in the cupboard and a couple cans of coconut milk! Then I feel I’m ready for so many recipes.
This Sweet Potato Red Lentil Curry is vegan, saucy & delicious!!! I will make this again!
The recipe is from the New York Times Cooking.. the recipe is by Lidey Heuck. I made just a few changes
Murray liked eating this on a bed of rice but I preferred it without! I loved this so much I didn’t want the rice to soak up the delicious sauce
Here is the recipe
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
neutral oil for the sweet potatoes
1 medium onion, diced
2 tbsp oil for the skillet
1 tbsp Thai red curry paste
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp ginger powder
1/4 tsp dried red chili flakes
1 cup red lentils
4 cups vegetable broth ( I used vegetable bouillon cubes)
salt to taste… it depends on how salty your vegetable Broth is
1 can coconut milk
1 cup frozen chopped spinach …or you can use fresh Please note.. I had frozen spinach that came in ‘pucks’ you can use 4 or those or as much as you like !
Preheat oven to 400f
Line a baking sheet with foil
- Toss the prepared sweet potatoes with the oil & spread them out on the baking sheet. Pop in the oven & roast until just starting to brown… time depends on how big you cut the potato ! Check at 15 minutes They will cook in the sauce so this is just to brown them a bit Set aside when done
- While the potatoes are in the oven, heat the oil in a large deep skillet. Add the onions and saute until the onions are translucent Turn the heat to medium low
- Add the curry paste and the spices, stir well and cook for about a minute.
- Add the lentils, vegetable broth & sweet potatoes. give it a good stir… simmer uncovered stirring occasionally for about 20-25 minutes. Stir often
- Pour in the coconut milk & simmer until the lentils are really soft and the liquid has reduced
- Add the spinach & let it defrost, if you are using frozen spinach… in the liquid… if using fresh spinach let it wilt. Stir well
- Taste and adjust the salt
Serve over rice if you like!