This is our all-time favourite Chocolate Cake recipe! Always moist, rich in flavour, it is divine!
I have baked many chocolate cakes over the years and this one is always a win! If you like an intense chocolate flavoured cake then this is The Best Chocolate Cake you should make!
I think this recipe is the Hersheys Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Cake. My friend gave me the recipe but I just looked it up and I think it is this one! The frosting is also just a hand written note on the recipe that I made so not sure where it comes from though I may have adjusted it a bit. I am going to write up the recipe as I have written down.
I layered this cake with Raspberry Jam for Murray and I but usually I put the frosting in between the layers. I like this cake with the chocolate frosting I have used this time but I also love it with a seven minute frosting, that is my fav way to have this cake. I like Martha Stewarts recipe, here’s. a link if you want a fabulous Seven Minute Frosting for any cake. I like this recipe since all of the frosting ingredients are cooked for about 2 minutes than beaten in a mixer until fluffy. If you have a candy thermometer that is ideal but if not it says in the recipe to cook for about 2 minutes which works, I did not always have a candy thermometer and have been making this recipe for years.
NOTE: I mixed the cake batter in my food processor because my mixer is broken… sadly…. but you can mix this cake batter either in a mixer of the food processor
I did not take pictures while making this cake… not sure why but I only have a couple pictures!
Here is the recipe
2 cup sugar
1 3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup cocoa
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup milk ( you can use water or nut milk if you want to make this non-dairy/parve )
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup boiling water
6 Tbsp soft butter
1/2 cup sifted cocoa
2 2/3 cup sifted icing sugar
1/3 cup water ( you can use milk or nut milk if you want )
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup jam of your choice if you want to put jam in-between the cake layers.
Preheat oven to 350f
Grease 2. 9 inch cake pans I have round parchment paper for the bottoms of my cake pans which I like but it isn’t necessary if you grease the cake pans really well!
- Mix the dry ingredients together In the bowl of your food processor or mixer.
- Add the eggs, milk vanilla & oil to the bowl, mix well. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the boiling water through the feed tube in the processor while it is running or if you are using a mixer, carefully pout the hot water into the mixing bowl with the mixer is on low so it does not splash. Mix until the water is combined with the batter & scrape down the sides of the food processor bowl or mixer bowl
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared cake pans.
- Put the cake pans in the preheated oven & bake for 30-35 minutes, Insert a cake tester or knife into the cake and if it comes out dry the cake is done.
- Put the cake pans onto a cooling rack & let cool for about 10 minutes,. Take a butter knife & run it along the inside edge of the cake pan to loosen the cake. Then turn the cakes out onto the cooling rack. Remove the parchment rounds if you used them. Let cool completely before icing.
When the cake layers are cool you can prepare the frosting
Mix the frosting ingredients together in a food processor or mixer until smooth
Frost you cake with the frosting.. you can put jam in-between the cake layers if you like! I used raspberry jam & it was delicious
2 thoughts on “THE BEST Chocolate Cake!”
This looks so moist and delicious! What kind of cocoa powder did you use?
I actually used cocoa from Bulk Barn this time!! So I am not sure what it is!!! Just a nice dark cocoa 🙂
You must log in to post a comment.