This recipe is a win win for us! Murray ( my husband) loves Baked Apples & Rum so when I saw this recipe on the Bon Appetit site I knew I had to make this!
The recipe on Bon Appetite is Baked Apples with Dates, Almonds and Rum
I only baked 2 apples so I just reduced the recipe ingredients accordingly & made a couple changes to the ingredients since I didn’t have
3 tbsp melted butter, you will use 2 tbsp first hen set theater aside
2 tbsp orange juice
2 tbsp rum
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp milk
1/2 tsp powdered ginger
1 tsp flour
1/4 cup almonds… I used slivered almonds but you can chop up almonds
3 dates, chopped
Preheat oven to 350f
and I used one loaf pan for 2 apples
- Mix the butter, juice & rum together in the baking dish, stir well
- Mix the egg yolk, milk, ginger, flour, 2 tsp melted butter together. Add the almonds and dates and combine well
- Use a melon baller or small spoon if you don’t have a melon baller & scoop out the core of the apple but do not go all the way through the bottom of the apple. Take a vegetable peeler or paring knife and remove about one inch of the peel around the top of the apple. set aside
- Stuff the nut mixture into the cavity of the apple packing it down
- Put the apples into the baking dish
- Brush the top of the apples with the reserved melted butter
- Bake in the pre-heated oven until the apples are soft, I like apples really soft so I cooked these for a long time! Baste the apples with the juice from the pan often!
- You can cover the pan with foil if it is browning before the apples are cooked
Let cool before serving, I served these apples with a bit of whipped cream on the side
One thought on “Baked Apples with Rum!”
I love rum in a baked apple, and I like that you used orange here too.
You must log in to post a comment.