I LOVE Korean BBQ Fried Chicken so making it at home with a delicious recipe is great!
There is a recipe for Korean BBQ Chicken on NYT Cooking. I adapted the recipe somewhat to make this fantastic chicken. I made this Korean BBQ Fried Chicken almost exactly as it is written.. the only change I did was .. I did not deep fry the chicken. Instead I pan fried it until the chicken was nice and brown, then finished cooking it in a hot oven. I substituted granulated garlic powder for fresh garlic!
I absolutely love this bbq sauce recipe… I have used it on wings & am pretty sure you can brush this sauce on any type of chicken.. even if you grill or bake any type of chicken, this sauce will be wonderful on it as well.
I like to have a bottle of Presidents Choice Memories of Seoul in my fridge at all times!! I use this sauce in all the recipes I make that calls for Gojuchang sauce! I love the flavour! I also add it to stirfrys of all kinds!
Here is the recipe with a couple adjustments I made
1 small onion
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
8 -10 boneless chicken thighs
3 tbsp Gojuchang sauce *** I use the Presidents Choice Memories of Seoul sauce
3 tbsp ketchup
1/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp sesame seeds… toasted if you have but I used raw
lemon juice from 1/2 a lemon
Coating for the chicken
1/2 cup flour
2/3 cup cornstarch
oil for frying the chicken
extra sesame seeds for sprinkling on the chicken before serving
LIne a baking sheet with foil. Use a cooling rack that will fit on this sheet & spray it with non-stick spray. Put the cooling rack onto the baking sheet. If you do not have a cooling rack to use, spray the foil with the nonstick cooking spray
Preheat oven to 400f
Marinade the chicken thighs
- Grate the onion into a zip loc bag or bowl. Add the garlic, salt & pepper. Mix
- Add the chicken & mix the chicken with the onion…so that the chicken is coated. Set aside for 1 hour to marinade in the refrigerator.
- Meanwhile, make the BBQ sauce by combining the sauce ingredients in a bowl & mix well, You can adjust the taste if you want. Set this aside
- Mix the flour & cornstarch together.. add some salt & pepper
- Remove the chicken from the onion mixture & discard the onion marinade
- Heat some oil in a large skillet.
- When the oil is hot, dredge the chicken pieces in the flour/cornstarch mixture & fry until golden on one side, turn over until brown then remove to some paper towel to drain the oil off Turn the chicken over so that both sides get some of the oil off. When all of the chicken has been panfried, put the chicken onto the cooling rack on the baking sheet ( or just onto the baking sheet). Continue with all of the pieces of chicken ( it is important to drain the oil off the chicken or else it will smoke in the hot oven as it hits the baking sheet!)
- Put the chicken into the preheated oven & bake until the chicken is completely cooked to an internal temperature of 165f
- When the chicken is completely cooked remove it from the oven
- While the chicken is hot.. brush on the delicious bbq sauce!!! Sprinkle with some sesame seeds