I LOVE Korean fried chicken so making it at home with a delicious recipe is great!
This recipe was posted in the NYT Cooking. I made this recipe almost exactly as it is written.. the only change I did was .. I did not deep fry the chicken. Instead I pan fried it until it was nice and brown, then finished cooking it in a hot oven. Also, when I used this sauce on chicken wings I did not marinade them in the onion & garlic,,,I did the first time I made this…although I used garlic powder instead of fresh garlic!
I absolutely loved this bbq sauce recipe… I have used it on wings & am pretty sure you can brush this sauce on any type of chicken.. even if you grill or bake chicken breasts this sauce would be wonderful on it as well.
Here is the recipe with a couple adjustments I made
1 small onion
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
8 -10 boneless chicken thighs
3 tbsp Gojuchang sauce
3 tbsp ketchup
1/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp sesame seeds… toasted if you have but I used raw
lemon juice from 1/2 a lemon
Coating for the chicken
1/2 cup flour
2/3 cup cornstarch
oil for frying the chicken
extra sesame seeds for sprinkling on the chicken before serving
lIne a baking sheet with foil & oil you have a cooling rack that will fit on this sheet spray it with non-stick spray & put onto the baking sheet. If you do not have a cooling rack to use, spray the foil with the nonstick cooking spray
Preheat oven to 400f
Marinade the chicken thighs
- Grate the onion into a zip loc bag or bowl. Add the garlic, salt & pepper. Mix
- Add the chicken & mix the chicken with the onion…so that the chicken is coated. Set aside for 1 hour to marinade… (I think I put this in the fridge)
- Meanwhile, make the BBQ sauce by combining the sauce ingredients in a bowl & mix well, You can adjust the taste if you want. Set this aside
- Mix the flour & cornstarch together.. add some slat & pepper
- Remove the chicken from the onion mixture & discard the onion marinade
- Heat some oil in a large skillet.
- When the oil is hot, dredge the chicken pieces in the flour/cornstarch mixture & fry until golden on one side, turn over until brown then remove to some paper towel to drain some of the oil off .on both sides. When this is done , put the chicken onto the cooling rack on the baking sheet ( or just onto the baking sheet) Continue with all of the pieces of chicken ( it is important to drain the oil off the chicken or else it will smoke in the hot oven as it hits the baking sheet!)
- Put the fried chicken into the preheated oven & bake until the chicken is completely cooked to an internal temperature of 165f
- When the chicken is completely cooked remove it from the oven
- While the chicken is hot.. brush on the delicious bbq sauce!!! Sprinkle with some sesame seeds