This is the second Gazpacho Soup recipe on this blog & my go-to gold standard Gazpacho Soup recipe!! This soup is Vegan/Parve healthy & delicious!
Sometimes I try new recipes which I did with my other post.. Gazepacho …we really like that recipe, it doesn’t use any tomato juice which is great since I do not always have some in the house!
Norene Gilitz has this recipe in her cookbook.. THE PLEASURES OF YOUR PROCESSOR BY NORENE GILLETZ. I have adapted the recipe slightly
But…. the recipe I am posting now is the first one I ever made…my mother-in-law makes this one & my father-in-law loved it! It is simple & straightforward which is great. There is tomato juice added to this recipe…The recipe is quite easy to adapt to your personal taste & still be delicious. Use less or more garlic, use different coloured peppers, try a V8 vegetable juice instead of tomato juice… I would recommend making it the original way first then adapt the next time. I changed it up a bit & am going to write up the recipe the way I make it. it is great to have this cold soup in the fridge for a few days,,, it does not last longer because it is so delicious it gets eaten up pretty fast..even with just the 2 of us in the house!
I went to the farmers market yesterday & picked up all of the fresh ingredients I needed to make this… Tomatoes, cucumber, onion, peppers, garlic & tomato juice..which I bought so I could make this! That’s it! The combination of these ingredients is great.
This cold soup is refreshing & satisfying!
Here is the recipe adapted from Norene Gilletz
1 large english cucumber
1 red or yellow pepper
1 small onion
5 nice ripe tomatoes
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp dried basil
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder or 1-2 cloves of garlic
2 1/2 cups of tomato juice
You will need a really big bowl to mix this in! It was too much for a large pyrex bowl so I had to use a big stainless steel bowl! You will see in the pictures I was mixing this in the pyrex bowl but when I had to add the tomato juice, I had to put everything into the big bowl then add the juice! Best just to start with the big bowl first! Save the cleanup!~
- Cut the cucumber, pepper, onion & tomatoes into pieces & have them ready to put into your processor
- You are going to process each ingredient separately to make sure that the texture of each is correct!
- Pulse the cucumber until it is finely chopped. Put this into your large bowl
- Next, do the same, separately, with the pepper, onion then the tomatoes. pulsing to have good control & retain some slight coarseness of the ingredients. We like it a bit coarse but not too chunky!
- Add the seasoning… garlic, juice of 1/2 lemon, basil, chili powder, salt Mix well
- Pour in the tomato juice & mix well.
- Taste & adjust seasoning
- Chill in the refrigerator before serving & you can garnish with finely chopped cucumber