I adapted a recipe for Mark Bittman to make this cake. I like his recipes. This cake was moist & very flavourful!
The original recipe is Bourbon Apple Cake – Mark Bittman
This cake is a white cake with pureed apples & than glazed. The glaze is where the rum comes in! I didn’t have any bourbon but if you know us, you know the Murray has LOTS of rum!!! So, the only thing I had to do was decide on which rum to use! I used a rum that I don’t mind drinking…Zaya, but you can use any rum or if you prefer use bourbon!! I also substituted non-dairy/parve margarine for the butter & water for the milk in the recipe
This recipe is made in a food processor but if you do not have one, use a mixer!
I forgot to take pictures of the ‘steps’ to make this cake but it is pretty straight forward.
Here is the recipe …adapted slightly from the original. link above
For the Cake
2 apples, medium sized
3/4 cup non-dairy margarine, I use Becel Vegan margarine
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup water
For the Glaze
1 cup rum, mild tasting rum
1/4 cup butter
1 cup sugar
Preheat oven to 350f
Grease & flour a bundt pan
- Peel & core the apples, cut into chunks. Puree the apples in a food processor or blender & set aside. Remove the apples from the food processor since you need it to mix up the cake in the food processor
- In the bowl of the food processor, mix the margarine & sugar until combine, scrape down the sides of the bowl
- Add the eggs one at a time though the feed tube while the machine is running. Turn off the food processor
- Add the apple puree & mix to combine
- Combine the flour, baking powder & salt
- Add the flour mixture & water alternately to the food processor bowl, mixing after each addition & scraping down the sides as needed. Don’t over-mix…but you want the batter to be smooth
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan & bake in the preheated oven for 45 -60 minutes, but check the cake at 45 minutes … test the cake for doneness by inserting a cake tester or knife… if it comes out dry the cake is done
- While the cake is cooking, make the glaze… put the rum, butter & sugar into a saucepan, heat up & stir often until the sugar has melted & the mixture thickens up a bit…can take about 10 minutes..let cool to room temperature
- Let the cake cool in the pan for about 10 minutes
- After the cake has cooled… pour the glaze over top & let the cake sit in the bundt pan for an hour before turning the cake out!!!
I sprinkled a bit of icing sugar on top of the cake before serving!