I had some leftover applesauce from when I made latkes…. & I love Applesauce Cake…so… I baked one!
Like Gingerbread Cake for me, Applesauce cake is so comforting . dense & moist, this cake is gently spiced with cinnamon & nutmeg… a perfect cake for cooler days with a cup of tea…or coffee..
I looked around for a recipe & there are many. I used a recipe from Martha Stewart.com from October 2005… Applesauce Cake
I adapted the recipe slightly, replacing the butter with oil, making this cake parve ( non-dairy) & left out the cardaman since I int have any! A full large drawer of spices but not any cardamon! So I used more cinnamon & nutmeg
The cake was simple to make with everyday ingredients..you just really have to go get 2 cups of applesauce…& the recipe calls for brown sugar …quite a lot of it but the cake is not over-sweet
I think you should make this cake! It is really good :)) It makes a big tube pan so if you can’t eat all of that in a few days, which I am going to try not to do,,, I am going to cut in half, freeze half to take out another time & keep half out to enjoy now!
Here is the recipe, as adapted from the original recipe
3 cups of regular flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 SCANT cup of oil *** to replace the 1 cup of butter with oil it is 7/8 cup of oil…so I weighed it to be 7 oz but if you do not have a scale, just use a mostly full cup of oil…though I doubt that 1 whole cup will make a difference in this cake…it would in other cakes I think
2 cups brown sugar *** it sounds like a lot of sugar, but go for it!
1/4 cup honey
2 large eggs
2 cups unsweetened applesauce
*** optional… icing sugar to sprinkle on the cake after it is cool
Preheat your oven to 350f
Grease a tube pan, you can also make this cake in a bundt pan if you would like…I sprayed a tube pan with cooking spray
- Whisk the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg together & set aside
- In the bowl of your mixer mix the oil & brown sugar until combined, scraped the sides & bottom of the bowl
- Add the honey & mix it in
- Now, mix in the eggs
- With the mixer on slow, add the flour gradually & mix just until combined
- Add the applesauce & mix the batter until it is smooth, scrape the sides & bottom of the bowl, making sure that all of the batter is well mixed
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1 horror until the cake test done…using a cake tester…
- Remove the cooked cake from the oven to a cooling rack & let it cool in the pan for at least 10 minutes on a cooling rack
- Turn the cake out onto a cooling & cool completely before putting the icing sugar on the cake…otherwise the icing sugar will just melt!