Last weekend I went to our downtown market & there was fresh locally grown asparagus there!
I didn’t know about this asparagus before, it is only available for a few weeks, so I bought a bunch & searched for a recipe to use with them. I usually roast asparagus in a hot oven with a drizzle of olive oil & a sprinkle of salt on the asparagus. I have to admit that I like them a bit charred & crispy…yum
Bon Appetit had this recipe on the website. I love miso..I always have some in my fridge so I can make this delicious Miso Vegetable Bowl
I love this asparagus. The dressing was wonderful & Bon Appetit suggests using it on beans as well. The asparagus in the recipe was grilled but I did not want to open up my bbq for this one thing so I roasted them in a 400f oven on a lined baking sheet until they were done! Perfect!
Here is the recipe from Bon Appetit… Ginger-Miso Grilled Asparagus
2 bunches of asparagus..*** I only had one bunch of asparagus so I just poured all of the dressing overtop of the asparagus before I roasted it!
For the Dressing
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp mirin *** mirin is a sweet Japanese rice wine available in grocery stores
1/4 cup with miso
2 tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
2 tsp grated ginger
Lime wedges & sesame seeds to serve
If roasting the asparagus preheat the oven to 425f or heat your grill
- Trim, clean & dry the asparagus, set aside in a pie plate or dish with sides
- Mix the mirin, miso, rice vinegar, & ginger together.. you can use a whisk & a bowl or use a jar to shake it!
- Pour the dressing over the prepared asparagus & toss to coat each piece with the dressing
- Now, you can grill the asparagus or roast it!
- To roast, put the asparagus in a single layer on a lined baking sheet & roast in the pre-heated oven for approx 12 minutes, depending on how big your asparagus spears are…roast until tender or crispy like I like them!
- To grill, use a vegetable grilling pan & grill the asparagus until they are tender & to your liking
- To serve, sprinkle with sesame seeds & some lime juice is desired!