Another great recipe from epicurious. This soup is flavourful & quick to make.
I know it is spring & do we want soup? Yes, we want this soup! I will eat a delicious soup anytime!
Here is a link to the reicpe on epicurious…
I added a bit of sugar to this recipe since it can cut the acidic taste of the tomatoes.. & you can leave out the cilantro if you do not like cilantro!
Here is the recipe makes 4 servings
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium size onion, finely chop the onion
2 garlic cloves…..**** I used 1 tsp minced garlic from a jar
1 – 2″ piece of ginger, grated **** I used a heaping tablespoon of grated ginger from a jar
1 tbsp curry powder
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes or more if you want your soup ‘hotter’
3/4 cup red lentils
1 14 oz can crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro…. & more for garnish *** optional if you don’t like cilantro…I did not have any
salt & pepper
1 can of unsweetened coconut milk, shake well
1 heaping tsp sugar
Lime wedges for serving
- Heat the oil in a medium size saucepan
- Add the finely chopped onion & cook it until it is softened & brown, stir often
- Add the garlic, ginger, curry powder & pepper flakes. stir & cook until fragrant
- Now, add the lentils, stir & cook for about a minute.
- Add the tomatoes & cilantro if using.
- Season with salt & pepper
- Set aside 1/4 cup of coconut milk from the can to garnish the soup with & put the remaining coconut milk into the saucepan.
- Add the sugar & stir it in
- Bring the soup to a boil, than lower the heat & simmer until the lentils are soft..about 25 minutes, stirring often
- When you serve the soup, swirl the reserved coconut milk on top & garnish with cilantro
- Serve with lime wedges