Passover Fruit Kugel …this kugel is full of fruit, not too sweet & I think it will be good for breakfast with some yogurt on the side…but I am going to serve it first as a side dish.
The recipe is my mom’s… on a recipe card…in her handwriting so that is special to me. I like making recipes of hers whenever I can…
There is not much to say about the recipe, it is simple to make. Not too sweet & full of fruit, mostly apples, some prunes & the liquid is orange juice! The combination is delicious.
Here is the recipe
1 lb pitted prunes
1 1/2 c orange juice
grated rind of an orange
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp oil
2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup matzo meal
Preheat oven to 350f
one 9 x 13 baking dish ,greased
- The recipe says to soak the prunes in the orange juice for an hour..but I did not do that…I had not read that before I wanted to cook this kugel…so I just soaked them while I was getting everything else ready….if you have the time go ahead & soak them. My prunes were plump & soft so I guess it depends on what kind of prunes you are using as to how long you need to soak them for!
- Peel & dice the apples, set aside
- In a large bowl, beat the 4 eggs.
- Add the sugar, oil, cinnamon & matzo meal to the eggs & mix well
- Mix the prunes & orange juice to egg mixture
- Add the diced apples & mix well
- Grease the baking dish, I just put some oil in & use a paper towel to grease all fo the dish
- Add the kugel batter, spread it out so that it is even in the pan
- Bake for 1 hour
- Cut into serving size pieces , serve warm
I freeze this kugel & reheat it in a foil pan…