Another kugel…this one is full of fruit, not too sweet & I think it will be good for breakfast with some yogurt on the side…but I am going to serve it first as a side dish.
The recipe is my mom’s… on a recipe card…in her handwriting so that is special to me. I like making recipes of hers whenever I can…
There is not much to say about the recipe, it is simple to make. Not too sweet, full of fruit…but prunes so it won’t be good for everyone. Not sure if anyone will eat it at dinner, but I will & maybe my sister!
Here is the recipe
1 lb pitted prunes
1 1/2 c orange juice
grated rind of an orange
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp oil
2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup matzo meal
Preheat oven to 350f
one 9 x 13 baking dish ,greased
- The recipe says to soak the prunes in the orange juice for an hour..but I did not do that…I had not read that before I wanted to cook this kugel…so I just soaked them while I was getting everything else ready….if you have the time go ahead & soak them. My prunes were plump & soft so I guess it depends on what kind of prunes you are using as to how long you need to soak them for!
- Peel & dice the apples, set aside
- In a large bowl, beat the 4 eggs.
- Add the sugar, oil, cinnamon & matzo meal to the eggs & mix well
- Mix the prunes & orange juice to egg mixture
- Add the diced apples & mix well
- Grease the baking dish, I just put some oil in & use a paper towel to grease all fo the dish
- Add the kugel batter, spread it out so that it is even in the pan
- Bake for 1 hour
- Cut into serving size pieces , serve warm
I freeze this kugel & reheat it in a foil pan…