We were invited out for dinner & my friend, Rosemary, served this Minestone Soup. it was so delicious I asked her for the recipe & if I could put this recipe on my blog. She said ok so here it is!
This soup is a bit different from the usual one I make. There is an addition of peas which add a sweetness to the soup, turnip & lima beans instead of kidney beans….& a few other different additions.
The list of ingredients is quite long, but don’t let that discourage you!!!!
All of the vegetables & cooked in the soup pot before adding the liquids so once that is done, the recipe says to simmer the soup for about 40 minutes & its done. But… I kept my pot of soup on the stove on a low simmer for a long time…at least 1 1/2 hours..so if you have the time let it simmer away but if not when the pasta is cooked after it is added this soup will be finished.
This is a very delicious vegetarian / vegan soup that is very satisfying.
Here is the recipe….thanks to Rosemary Kitay
1 tbsp oil
2 onions, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 potatoes, diced
2 carrots, diced
1/2 small cabbage, sliced
1 turnip, peeled & diced
1 leek, cleaned, trimmed & sliced….optional because I did not have a leek…( mu grocery store did not have any!!)
3 celery sticks, sliced or diced
1 parsnip, peeled & diced
3 tsp salt
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
4 tsp sugar
1 tsp dried parsley or 1 tbsp fresh parsley
1 large can of diced tomatoes
8 cups of vegetable stock, this is suppose to be hot… I used hot water….no stock ( I did not have any)
1 can lima beans, drained & rinsed
1/4 cup frozen peas
a handfull of spaghetti…..
- Prepare all of the ingredients so that they are ready to add to the pot in step 1 & 2
- In a large soup pot/saucepan, saute the onion & garlic in the oil for a few minutes until the onion becomes translucent… stir often
- Once the onion/garlic is ready add the carrots, celery & parsnips, cook for a bit then add the diced potatoes, & leek if you are using one…Next I added the sliced cabbage…Mix everything together really well & cook for about 10 minutes…you want the vegetables to soften since this soup is not boiled for a long time..
- Add the spices…the salt, pepper, oregano, basil, sugar & parsley, mix well
- Add the tomatoes, mix well
- Add the vegetable stock… the recipe says this should be hot when it is aded… I used some hot water…I did not have any vegetable stock in the house so just used hot water… Mix well
- Add the drained beans
- Simmer for about 30 minutes
- Now, take your handful of spaghetti & break it into 3…then add this broken spaghetti to the soup
- Add the peas now
- Cook for about 10 minutes until the spaghetti is cooked. Now your soup is done!!