These cookies are made with brown butter, which is something different for me. I haven’t really used brown butter very much but the picture of these cookies looked so good & I was intrigued by the brown butter … so I had to make these. They are soooo delicious!
This recipe is from bon appetit & I find that pretty much every recipe I have made from this site & the magazines….I used to have a subscription…always turn out. And these cookies were not any different…
There is a bit more to make them than regular chocolate chip cookies, but its worth it! These cookies are a good size, I used a 1/2 cup cookie scoop to form them…
I did not have any Skor chocolate bars & of course I didn’t want to go out to buy some, but I did have some Skor chips so I used those…
You should give them a try…. I bet you will love them!
Here is the recipe
1 cup unsalted butter
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp kosher salt
1 cup dark brown sugar…packed
1/3 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 chocolate toffee bars…they suggest Skor bars… I USED 1 CUP OF SKOR CHIPS
1 1/2 cups chocolate wafers… preferably 72% cocoa… I did have these… ( if you don’t have these maybe try some semi-sweet large chocolate chips? or chop up enough chocolate bars that are around 72% cocoa…)
flaky sea salt for sprinkling on tip of the cookies..I USED KOSHER SALT
Preheat oven to 375f Line baking sheets with parchment paper
- Put the butter into a medium saucepan & cook it over medium heat, stir often, until it foams, then it will brown..this takes about 5-8 minutes.. Scrape this into the large bowl of your mixer & set aside
- Whisk the flour, baking soda & salt together in a different bowl & set aside
- Add the brown sugar & sugar to the browned butter. Put the bowl onto the mixer stand & on medium speed, beat until all of the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Add the eggs & vanilla & beat well, scrape down the sides of the bowl, & beat until this mixture starts to thicken
- On a slow speed, add the dry ingredients & beat until combined.
- Mix in the Skor chips/Skor bar, & chocolate by hand.
- Let the dough sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes… the dough will seem loose but it thickens up as it sits
- Using a cookie scoop I made about 26 balls of dough…placed them onto 3 cookie sheets… The recipe from bon appetit calls for using a 2 1/2 oz ice cream scoop , which is 5 tbsps…& making 20 balls of dough… this would make big cookies…so the size is up to you. I used a cookie scoop that was 2 tbsp… so it isn’t that much different I just got a few more…
- Sprinkle with sea salt…I used kosher salt
- Bake in the preheated oven until they are golden brown…about 9-11 minutes… let the cookies cool on the baking sheets for about 10 minutes before removing them to a wire cooling rack to cool completely…