I have had my Instant Pot for several months, but have only used it a few times. When summer came I put it away & did not look at it again! But now I am going to use it more…so I looked for chicken recipes online & found this one
The recipe is from Jo Cooks. It is very tasty & was pretty easy to make
A couple of things….. The recipe calls for sautéing the tomato sauce… & it make a HUGE mess!! splattered everywhere! It got really hot, there wasn’t much sauce in the pot, but it was spitting like mad…so I grabbed a pot spatter guard that I had in my drawer & put that on top of the pot… I don’t think the lid is supposed to be on when the saute function is being used. Once I cleaned up…& the sauce was sautéed enough… the rest of the process was good. NOTE: I THINK I HAD TOO MUCH LIQUID IN THE POT WHEN I WAS SAUTEING IT… SINCE I ADDED 2 CUPS OF TOMATO SAUCE INSTEAD OF 1.. I HAD LOOKED AHEAD & SAW THAT THERE WAS 1 CUP OF WATER ADDED LATER SO I ADDED 2 CUPS OF TOMATO SAUCE IN THE BEGINNING..( there is 2 cups of sauce in one can so that is why I just threw in the whole can) & then I did not add the extra cup of water at the end….SO JUST FOLLOW THE RECIPE AS IT IS WRITTEN I THINK, that way maybe it won’t splatter everywhere!!! :)))
I let the pot depressurize naturally since I had time until Murray came home for dinner….The other thing about this recipe is that the sauce is so thin… the instructions say to open the pot once it has depressurized & then add the cream…I used coconut milk… & saute it to warm the cream & thicken the sauce… I must have added too much liquid..but the chicken was covered & that’s what the recipe said to do. The liquid never really did thicken. We ate it over rice so it was ok. The flavour was really good so that made up for the watery sauce!
The seasoning of this Butter Chicken is good, If you do not have an Instant Pot, make it on the stove top.
Here is the recipe…adapted from Jo Cooks
3 tbsp parve margarine ***I used Becel Vegan Margarine
3 tbsp pureed garlic *** I used garlic from a jar
2 tsp minced ginger *** I used a paste from a jar
1 cup tomato sauce
2 tbsp tomato paste *** I did not have any tomato paste so I left it out
3 tsp curry powder *** or the recipe calls for garam masala which I did not have so I substituted curry powder
1 Tbsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp paprika
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp salt
2 lbs boneless chicken thighs, cut into pieces of equal size
1 cup of water
1 jar of coconut milk
IF YOU DO NOT HAVE AN INSTANT POT USE A SAUCEPAN ON THE STOVE TO MAKE THIS RECIPE BECAUSE IT IS VERY TASTY!!!
*** make sure you know & understand how to use your Instant Pot… I will not go into it here because I am not an expert…..so READ YOUR INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO USE YOUR INSTANT POT BEFORE MAKING ANY RECIPE
- Turn the Instant Pot to the saute setting….
- Add the margarine and cook it until it melts
- Add the garlic & ginger & saute until the spices become fragrant…. be careful not to burn it
- Add the tomato sauce & tomato paste to the spices & stir
- Add the spices & stir…cook on the saute function for about 3 to 5 minutes… THIS IS WHEN IT SPLATTERED ALL OVER EVERYWHERE..SO IF YOU CAN COVER IT WITH A SPLATTER GUARD YOU SHOULD!!!
- Now, TURN OFF THE SAUTE FUNCTION and wait for the sauce to stop splattering before you take off the splatter guard…
- Add the cut up chicken thighs & stir everything together…
- The recipe says that the chicken needs to be covered so if it isn’t add some water to cover it .
- close the lid as per the manufacturers instructions for closing the lid….
- Set the Instant Pot cycle to the Poultry setting & set the timer to 5 minutes…
- Once the Instant Pot cycle is complete, with until the natural release cycle is complete…this takes about 10 minutes… read the instructions on how to tell when it is safe to open the lid
- CAREFULLY UNLOCK THE LID & OPEN IT AS PER THE MANUFACTURERS INSTRUCTIONS….
- Put the Instant Pot on the saute cycle.
- Add the coconut milk, stir & cook for about 5 minutes
- If the sauce is too thin, you can cook it longer to reduce the sauce
- Turn off the Instant Pot
Serve over rice & you can have some grilled Naan bread with it too!!!