Again I had brown bananas in the fruit bowl & I had just bought some bran & wheat germ to make a bread….& I LOVE BRAN MUFFINS so…. I baked some banana bran muffins!
I think the total time it took to make these bran muffins was about 35-40 minutes….25 minutes in the oven & maybe 10 minutes to mix up the batter. I used my food processor since my butter was cold from the fridge, the food processor makes cold butter & sugar cream together really quick, instead of mixing this by hand or using a mix master. You can mix up the muffin batter any way that you want…. just don’t over-mix it ..then you get tough muffins!
The recipe is from Robin Hood flour…I think!!! It is on a small cut out piece of paper …but I am pretty sure it is a recipe from there.
The recipe calls for nuts & raisins to be added to the batter, but I am having our family over for brunch tomorrow & they do not like raisins…Murray does so I might have to poke a few raisins into his bran muffin!
They smell delicious & I can hardly wait to dig in to one!
Here is the recipe This recipe makes 12 muffins
1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup bran, I used Quaker wheat bran
1/3 cup wheat germ
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1/2 cup butter, room temperature if you are mixing this by hand or in a mix master so that it incorporates better with the sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
2/3 cup bananas, which is 2-3 bananas, I used 3 & didn’t measure!!!
1/2 cup buttermilk, or sour milk
1 tbsp molasses
3/4 cup raisins…I didn’t use any
1/2 cup nuts…I didn’t use any nuts
Preheat oven to 375f
Grease a 12 cup muffin tin… or line the muffin cups with muffin papers
- In large bowl, combine the flour, bran, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda & salt together & set aside
- Cream the butter & sugar together, I did this in my food processor, scrape down the sides of the food processor bowl
- Add the egg & mix well, scrape down the sides
- Mash the bananas if you are using a mix master or mixing this by hand
- If you are using your food processor, turn it on & drop chunks of banana through the feed tube & process until it is mixed…scrape the sides of the bowl
- I put the molasses into the milk, mixed it together & added it to the food processor bowl, then mixed it it…
- Add the flour mixture & process just until combined… if not using a food processor, mix the flour the into the wet ingredients until combined.
- Now if you are adding the raisins & cuts, do this by hand, not in the food processor
- Divide the batter evenly among the 12 prepared muffin cups
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until done