With the abundance of tomatoes at this time of year, I thought it was a good idea to re-visit this wonderful recipe for a roasted tomato soup, the recipe is from the barefoot contessa cookbook.
I went to my local farmers market one Sunday & they had such beautiful tomatoes.. So I had to make this soup! The fresh tomatoes are oven roasted which give this soup a rich deep tomato flavour. A few other ingredients & a bunch of basil contribute to make roasted tomato soup delicious!
A simple, clean recipe. I made 2 changes to the original recipe, 1. I added some sugar…just a bit to cut the acidity of the tomatoes. A trick my mom always told me to do..even in tomato sauce, just add a tsp of sugar..you won’t take the sugar but it will do its job! 2. the recipe calls for butter which I did not want to add as I wanted this soup to be vegan/parve/non-dairy, so I just didn’t use it.
Here is a link to the cookbook on Amazon ( I am an Amazon associate)
Here is the recipe
3 pounds ripe roma tomatoes, cut in half *** I used tomatoes on the vine & cut them in quarters
1/4 cup + for later 2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp kosher slat
1 1/2 tsp black pepper
2 onions, chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced *** I used 3
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
28 ounce can of diced tomatoes & their juice
4 cups of fresh basil leaves
1/2 dried thyme
4 cups water or vegetable stock *** you can use chicken stock if you want
Preheat oven to 400f
- Line a baking sheet with aluminium foil
- Put the cut tomatoes on the baking sheet, toss with the 1/4 cup olive oil, the slat & pepper. Spread in a single layer
- Roast in the preheated oven for about 45 minutes
- Meanwhile, in a large soup pot, saute the onions, garlic & red pepper flakes in the 2 tbsp of oil over medium heat. Stir often . Cook until the onions start to brown
- Add the canned tomatoes, basil, thyme & water/stock to the sautéed onions…
- When the tomatoes are done, add them to the soup pot with the juices from the baking sheet.
- Bring to a boil & simmer uncovered for about 40 minutes…I cooked mine for well over an hour…I just let it simmer away…but don’t cook it too long or it will evaporate.
- When you are finished cooking your soup, use a hand blender to puree the soup. You can use any appliance you have for this,… a blender ….a food processor in batches… you can puree it to any texture you like. I left mine a bit thick.
I did not take pictures all the way through this recipe…
One thought on “Roasted Tomato Soup”
Very healthy and tasty it is 🙂
You must log in to post a comment.