I have made these ribs several times throughout the year. In the winter I bake them in the oven & in the summer I BBQ them…great either way!
The marinade is a ‘no sugar’ marinade. It calls for sweetener which I did not use, but if you want your ribs to be sweet, add 1/4 cup of sugar. We find the flavour is good without any added sweetener, but of course it depends on how you like your ribs !
My recipe is inspired by a recipe I saw on sparkpeople.com, submitted by OMEAEMO. I have changed a few things.
Here is the recipe
Korean Style BBQ Ribs
3 lbs Miami Style Beef Ribs
1 cup water
1/2 cup soya sauce
2 tsp minced garlic or 2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tbsp minced ginger
3 green onions, chopped
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup sugar or sweetener ***optional
- Mix all of the ingredients for the marinade together in a zip – loc bag
- Add the ribs to the bag, seal the bag & make sure all of the ribs are covered with the marinade. Put the bag into the refrigerator & marinade for 1 hour or longer if you have the time. Turn the bag from time to time to make sure that all the ribs get covered in the marinade
- When you are ready to cook your ribs, take them out of the marinade & discard the marinade!
- To BBQ the ribs, put them on the grill over a medium heat. Let the ribs cook onone side until they lift off easily from the grill, then turn them over to insure that they are cooked to your liking.. Note: if your bbq is really hot then the ribs can burn especially if you have added sugar to the marinade, so cook them over the medium heat
- Alternately, put the ribs & the marinade into a roasting pan & bake at 350f, covered for 1/2 hour then uncover to continue cooking until throughly cooked & the ribs are a nice brown colour. I ususally cook these for a total of 1 1/2 hours. Turn the ribs occasionally & rotate them so each side gets in the delicious sauce!