These little cookies are a shortbread type of cookie rolled int chopped nuts with a dollop of jam in the middle! My sister bakes these often & has been known to box them up and being them with her when she comes to visit us from California!
A friend of mine asked me a question about the thumbprint in Thumbprint Cookies…it pops up during baking and what to do about it. So I decided it was best to try it out and see. I found a recipe in my ‘recipe binder’. The directions say to bake the cookies for 5 minutes then remove from the oven and re-indent them with your thumb. There is the answer. I made them and the indent is perfect.
This dough is crumbly and needed to be shaped and formed. They cracked when I imprinted it so I had to put it together. After 5 minutes of baking I took them out of the oven, flattened them a bit and re-poked the hole.
You can use any flavor of jam you like!
Here is the recipe
Swedish Pastry (Thumbprint Cookies)
1/2 cup butter, softened *** if your butter is cold, cut it into small pieces to soften quicker
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1 egg, divided *** lightly beat the yolk *** beat the white until frothy with a fork and put into a bowl to roll the cookies in before baking
1 cup flour
3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts *** put into a bowl to roll the cookies in before baking
Jam to fill the thumbprint I used a home-made grape jelly
Preheat oven to 350F Yield with a 1 tbsp cookie scoop is 16 cookies
*** this recipe can be made in the food processor, by hand if the butter is soft enough or in a small bowl of a mix master
- Cream the softened butter and the brown sugar together
- Add the beaten egg yolk and mix well
- Add the flour, mix thoroughly … the dough is crumbly
- Make dough into balls, I used a tablespoon cookie scoop. press it together to form a ballTake the ball of dough, coat in the egg white and roll in the crushed walnuts
- Place on a cookie sheet about 1 1/2 inches apart. These cookies do not spread
- Push your thumb/finger into the middle of the cookie, gently..if the cookie splits just put it back together
- Bake for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven AND POKE YOUR THUMB/FINGER INTO THE HOLE IN THE MIDDLE TO MAKE THE INDENT AGAIN…..RETURN TO THE OVEN AND CONTINUE BAKING FOR 10 MINUTES,,, UNTIL BROWNED
- While the cookie is hot, put some jam/jelly of your choice into the indent
- Cool on a wire rack