Lately I have been having a love affair with mushrooms…cooking them in many different ways… so I am re-visiting this wonderful mushroom & barley soup that I posted months ago.
This recipe is Bonnie Stern’s but my friend had found it in her Soup Sisters cookbook. Check out the Soup Sisters website to find out about this inspiring organization. http://www.soupsisters.org
I have looked for the link to this recipe on Bonnie Stern’s website and could not find it so I am including the link from Soup Sisters.
In my original post, I did not post the ingredients or recipe… I was new to blogging…so here is the recipe with a couple little changes from the recipe posted on the soup sisters web site.
Murray added some truffle salt to his, since he loves truffle salt and adds it to practically everything he eats 🙂
Here is the recipe
12 oz (250 g) dried wild mushrooms
2 tbsp olive oil
2 onions, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, cleaned & sliced
1 cup of pearl barley
10 cups of broth… I used Campbell’s Mushroom broth
1 can white kidney beans, drained
3 cloves of garlic, minced
salt & pepper to taste
- Soak the dried mushrooms in hot water for about 30 minutes while you are preparing the rest of the ingredients for the soup. Drain the mushrooms well & chop them up
- In the bottom of your soup pot, add the 2 tbsp olive oil & sauté the chopped onions, chopped carrots & chopped celery for about 5 -10 minutes until the onion becomes translucent.. Do not brown the onions. ( but if they brown don’t worry..its ok)
- Add the sliced mushroom & mix well..I like to cook the mushrooms a bit to soften them up before adding the rest of the ingredients
- Add the soaked wild mushrooms…mix everything together
- Add the barley, beans & stock . Season with salt & pepper
- Mix well & cook for about an hour or more…
- Stir once in a while & don’t let it boil too hard…just a gentle simmer/boil