Mrs. Shapiro z’l showed me how to make bagels for Passover.
The recipe for these bagels was from a newspaper…I don’t know when Mrs Shapiro cut it out of or which paper & there was not a name on it..so I apologize for not giving proper credit to the person who made the recipe. The paper was very yellowed so it was several years ago! I think that the sugar is added by Mrs. Shapiro & that it was not in the original recipe.
These freeze well, so if you cook ahead you can make them anytime…if you don’t cook ahead, they don’t take long to make. They are very good..Murray & I ate one when I got home..to taste it & check out the recipe. & we were very impressed at how tasty they are!
Here is the recipe
Passover Bagels makes 10-12
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 1/2 cups matzo meal
You will need a baking sheet
- Get all of your ingredients ready because this recipe goes by pretty quickly once you start to cook it
- Bring the water & oil to a boil in a medium size saucepan
- Add the matzo meal at once & quickly stir until it is well blended & all of the matzo meal is wet
- Remove the saucepan from the heat & let it cool for a few minutes
- You will add the eggs one at a time & will need a mixer for this. IF you have a hand mixer use it, if not then put the matzo meal mixture into the bowl of your mix master.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition
- Let this mixture rest for 30 minutes. It is very important that it rest for at least 30 minutes….if it is longer that is ok, but a shorter time is not ok! Mrs Shapiro said 10 minutes in the video but we let it sit longer…the recipe says 30 minutes
- Preheat your oven to 350f while the mixture is resting
- Grease a baking sheet really generously with oil
- When the mixture is finished resting you will now make the bagels
- Moisten your hands with oil….just use the oil on the baking sheet
- Form the matzo meal mixture into balls that are about the size of a lemon…& put all the balls onto the baking sheet
- Put some oil onto a finger & make a hole in the ball….there is a video of Mrs.Shapiro doing this
- Once all of the balls are made into bagels, you will bake these
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 45 minutes until they are brown & dry
- Remove from the baking sheet when they come out of the oven, do not let them sit to cool on the baking sheet…they will get soggy & absorb the oil
- Cool them on a wire rack
- They can be frozen ….I put them into a ziplock bag…
- Store them in a ziplock if you are keeping them fresh
You must log in to post a comment.