Corn Patties are kind of like latkes…Made the same way but with creamed corn. They are slightly sweet from the corn & I just love them!
My mom made these…. she always called them Corn Patties…but, maybe they can be called a latke! You can add then to your latke repertoire!!!
We used to eat these delicious little pancakes for dinner sometimes.. after having some Campbells Tomato Soup! We always had them with maple syrup! YUM
You can use these as a side dish with anything or a little appetizer if you make them small…they do cook up soft & get a bit soggy as they sit, but that never seems to matter to the people eating them!!!
This is simple but oh soooo delicious. The recipe is easy to increase… you can make as many as you want! One recipe makes 16 ..when you use a large serving spoon to make them.
All you need is a can of creamed corn, an egg, some flour & baking powder…& pepper
Murray and I had them last night & it was almost impossible not to eat all of them
To make more just double the recipe….
Here is the recipe…I know they are fried but well worth it once in a while!!!
1 14 oz can of creamed corn
1 egg, you can beat the egg if you want, sometimes I do !
1/2 cup of flour
1 tsp baking powder
pepper to taste
you will need a frying pan
- Mix the corn, egg, flour, baking powder & a shake of pepper together so there are not any flour lumps!
- Heat some oil in a frying pan…there has to enough oil so that these do not burn, but you are not deep frying them…I would say to have the entire bottom of the frying pan covered with about 1/8 inch or so, of oil…. I had to add more oil as I fried these since they soak it up! The frying pan needs to be hot..but not smoking…so medium high heat
- When the oil is hot… use a large serving spoon or any size spoon you want the patties to be… and very gently put the mixture into the oil… the trick is to lower one side of the spoon onto the pan and then very gently let the batter lay into the pan…this way the edges of the latke are smooth…& the batter will not splatter
- Let the one side cook until brown & it is holding together…then very gently… using a spatula & a knife for support…turn the latke over & continue cooking until the second side is brown
- Put the cooked latkes onto some paper towel to drain I always turn them over to drain both sides
- Continue this way until you have cooked all of them
- Serve with maple syrup if you like or on their own is delicious too.
One thought on “Corn Patties/Latkes”
[…] Corn Patties/Latkes — Marilyn Dishes […]
You must log in to post a comment.