This Cod in a Tomato Curry is amazing! Very quick to prepare which is great for a busy day!
The recipe is from Bon Appetit,,, I had to change it a bit as I did not have all of the ingredients their recipe called for..but my changes worked. Bon Appetit is one of my favorite recipe sites. Here is the link tho the original recipe
The fish is poached in the sauce..I added some sugar to the sauce to cut down on the acidity of the tomatoes and added more coconut cream ..this resulted in a rich slightly sweet sauce. We loved it !
I always buy the frozen Kirkland cod from Costco so we eat cod often! I just defrost it in a bowl of cold water because I usually do not decide on supper until it is too late to defrost in the fridge!
I only had 2 pieces of fish in the freezer but you can have up to 4 pieces in this amount of sauce
Here is the recipe
1 can of grape tomatoes, undrained ( if you don’t have a can of grape tomatoes use a small can of diced tomatoes )
1/4 tsp dried red pepper flakes…you can adjust this
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp dried cardamon
1/2 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp Kosher salt & some extra on hand to season the fish before cooking it
1/2 cup coconut cream or coconut milk will be fine just might make the sauce a bit watery so cook the sauce down a bit
1 tbsp sugar ( I said 1 tsp in the video but I used 1 tbsp)
1 cup frozen & defrosted cauliflower florets
2-4 pieces of cod fillets ( defrosted if frozen)
1/2 – 1 cup basil leaves torn if large
- Use a large saucepan & empty the can of tomatoes into it. Over medium heat, warm the tomatoes
- Add the dry spices & stir well to combine spices with the tomatoes . Bring to a boil then turn the heat down.
- Now mix in the coconut cream & sugar. Taste & adjust the salt & sugar if you want
- Add the cauliflower and mix it in so it is covered in the sauce
- Season the fish with some salt .. then nestle the fish into the sauce. Put the heat on medium. Cover the pan & let cook for about 10 minutes, The sauce should have a gentle boil..otherwise the sauce will cook away. Stir the sauce & move the fish around.. ( mine stuck a bit) .. turn the fish over, replace the lid & continue cooking until the fish is completely cooked through.
- When the fish is done, add the basil leaves & stir them in.
You can serve this over some cooked rice! You can garnish with extra basil