This recipe for Puff Pastry Apple Pie could not be easier!!
This is a recipe from Martha Stewart.. I found this in my book of recipes on a browned piece of paper. I looked online for the recipe on Martha Stewarts website for Apple Croustade but I could not even find it!
Instead of an open-face Crostada, this recipe made with puff pastry has a top. Puff pastry is rolled out into 2 circles, one 12 inch in diameter and the other 11 inches in diameter. Then thinly sliced apples are piled on the larger circle. then the smaller circle of pasty is placed on top and the sides are crimped together. Topped with an egg wash & sugar then baked until done! To me it is more like a pie! Using store bought Puff Pastry makes this very easy to assemble & it is just delicious!
I changed a couple things in the recipe so I am going to give you the recipe I made! This recipe is parve. I used parve puff pastry & vegan margarine.
1 500g/1lb of puff pastry. defrosted
5 Macintosh apples *** use whatever apples you like!
4 tbsp sugar
1 heaping tbsp flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp parve/vegan margine
1 beaten egg for the egg wash
some sugar to sprinkle on the top
- Roll out the puff pastry, approx 1/8 thick, into 2 rounds… one 12 inch round & one 11 inch round. You can make some cut out pieces of the left over pastry from the edges to decorate the top of your pie before baking.. Put the rounds onto 2 parchment lined baking sheets & any pieces you are going to use to decorate with, cover with plastic wrap & put in the fridge to chill for at least 30 miutes
- While the dough is chilling, prepare the filling. Peel the apples & slice them thinly, put them into a bowl. Sprinkle with the sugar, flour & cinnamon. Mix well
- At this point preheat your oven to 375f
- When the dough is finished chilling remove from the fridge, uncover. Pile the prepared apples into the middle of the 12 inch circle, spreading them out to 1 1/2 inches from the edge of the circle. Top with the remaining pastry. Wet the edges of the smaller circle with water Bring the edges of the larger circle up & crimp to seal.
- Using water on the bottom side of the small dough pieces you have to decorate the top, put them on any way you like!
- Now, brush the entire top with the egg wash & sprinkle with sugar
- When your oven is preheated put your pie into the oven & bake for 50-60 minutes until brown & crispy.. you will know when it is done! *** The recipe on Martha Stewart said to bake at 400f which I did but that was too hot & it was brown after only 30 minutes, I lowered the heat & covered it with some foil to finish baking since I wanted to make sure the bottom was completely cooked & the apples were jammy inside. You will see from the pictures that mine is a bit too brown but it was still delicious
- Remove from the oven when done & let cool on the baking sheet for about 10 minutes then remove to a wire cooling rack. You can eat this warm or cold.. either way it is so good !!!