I wasn’t sure how this would taste…but let me tell you…It is delicious!!! This No-Egg Tiramisu is now one of my fav desserts!
Murray really loves Tiramisu so I thought I would make it for Fathers Day dessert. I searched online & found this recipe for a No-Egg Tiramisu. I had faith that it would be good because I like the recipe from Epicurious!
I did not have most of the ingredients so I had to go buy them. Mascarpone cheese, Cool Whip & the cookies. This recipe does not use lady finger cookies, it uses Savoiardi biscuits. I had to go to the Italian grocery store to find them as the regular grocery store did not have them. The other ingredients for this are vanilla instant pudding, Kahlua, coffee, milk & cocoa.
This recipe is made in a 9×13 dish. I did not want so much so I made the recipe in 2 8 inch square pans. We ate one! & froze the other one!
This really is so good1 It has to sit overnight before eating so that the cookies can soften up. I could not even tell that this Tiramisu was made with instant vanilla pudding and Cool Whip. ( I rarely use Cool Whip but lately I have found some delicious recipes that use it! )
Here is the recipe from Epicurious
1 pkg ( 3.5 oz/99g ) instant vanilla pudding
2 cups milk ( for the vanilla pudding)
2 cups strong coffee *** I used espresso
2 Tbsp Kahlua for the coffee or the amt you like
16 oz ( 453 g) Mascarpone cheese
2 T sugar
1/4 cup Kahlua
Cool Whip (8 oz/226 g) defrosted in the fridge ** this amount was one large container
48 Savoiardi biscuits ( that was the amount in one large package)
Cocoa to dust on layers & top
you need one 9×13 dish or 2, 8 inch square dished
- Make the vanilla pudding according to the package instructions & put in the refrigerator to set
- Make the coffee, add the 2 tbsp Kahlua, mix & set aside to cool
- Beat the Mascarpone cheese with the sugar, I did this in my mixer. You want this to light & fluffy so the mixer worked well.
- Add the Kahlua to the cheese mixture, mix well.
- Add 1/3 of the Cool Whip. Fold in the Cool Whip.. you want the ingredients to be well combined but not over-mixed
- Now to put everything together… Have your dish/dishes close by. Dip one cookie at a time into the coffee/Kahlua & let the liquid drip off a bit. Line the bottom of your dish with the dipped cookies placing the cookies touching beside each other & fill in any space with broken pieces so that the entire bottom of the dish is lined with the cookies! No empty spaces!
- Put 1/2 of the cheese mixture over the cookies, spread evenly, I used an off-set spatula to do this, if you have one it worked well. Sift some cocoa powder over the cheese layer. not too thick a layer of cocoa. Put another layer of dipped cookies into the pan over the cocoa, same as the bottom layer, no spaces! Then put the rest of the cheese mixture evenly over this cookie layer. Sift some cocoa all over this cheese layer.
- Now, spread the remaining Cool Whip evenly all over. *** I found that the cocoa got mixed up in Cool Whip so I just embraced that & mixed it around!
- Cover & put in the refrigerator overnight before serving.
For some reason I did not take pictures of making this step by step like I usually do!