Seedy, slightly sweet & dense, this bread is so delicious. It is good either fresh or toasted. Smear with butter, nut butters, put an egg on it..;.the ways to eat this are endless.
This recipe comes to me from a good friend who got it from a friend..so I have no idea where the original recipe comes from! So I apologize for not giving credit to the original author of the recipe.
This is a bread, but not a yeast bread. Mixed by hand it is quick to pull together, but you need some ingredients you might not have on hand.It is soooo worth going out & buying what you need to make this bread!.You need: whole wheat flour, steel cut oats, bran, wheatgerm, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, sunflower seeds & buttermilk. Check the ingredient list then go get what you need to make this.
Here is the.recipe. Makes 1 loaf
2 cups. buttermilk
1 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup honey
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup steel cut oats
1/ 2 cup bran
1/2 cup wheatgerm
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/4 cup toasted sunflower seeds. ***if you don’t have toasted sunflower seeds…put your sunflower seeds
1/’4 cup poppy seeds
Extra sesame seeds, sunflower seeds & poppy seeds to sprinkle on the top of the bread before it is baked.
Preheat oven to 375f
Grease a standard size loaf pan *** I spray it with non-stick spray
- In a 4 cup measure or a bowl, measure the buttermilk, add the baking soda & honey. Mix well & let sit while you get the dry ingredients together. The honey always sinks to the bottom of the cup, so stir it a couple times to try to incorporate it.
- Combine the whole wheat flour, steel cut oats, bran, wheatgerm, salt, sesame seeds & sunflower seeds in a large bowl, combine with a whisk
- Give the milk mixture one more stir & add it to the dry ingredients
- Mix everything together..I use a wooden spoon, make sure you mix it really well ..
- Put the batter into the prepared baking dish
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds, sunflower seeds & poppy seeds
- Bake for 45 minutes, turn off the oven & let the bread sit in the oven for 15 minutes
- Remove & let cool on a cooling rack
I love this bread fresh or toasted, spread it with butter & honey., or peanut butter, or almond butter sprinkled with a bit of cinnamon…butter with an egg on it… YUM!