I love a Graham Wafer Crust & like to make it non-dairy sometimes.
This crust can easily be vegan, you have to ensure that the graham wafer crumbs you are using are vegan & use a vegan margarine.
Becel has come out with a margarine that is made with plant-based oils .. Becel with Oat Beverage. I don’t use margarine very often but I like this one so it is the one I am buying now. I replace butter with a parve or vegan margarine when I want to change a dairy recipe to a parve one. If there is milk in a recipe I change that as well.
The recipe is simple. Bake the crust for a firm crust or for a pie that will be baked. Check the recipe for whatever you are making to see if the crust should be baked or not! I like to make a lemon meringue pie in a graham crust..the taste combo is great.
Here is the recipe makes one 9 inch pie crust. Note: this recipe makes a thin crust so if you like a thicker crust double the ingredients. I usually double this.
6 tbsp parve ( non-dairy or Vega) margarine
1 1/2 cups graham wafer crumbs
4 tbsp sugar
Preheat oven to 350f
- Melt the margarine in a heat resistant bowl in the microwave ( or you can do this on the stove if you want!)
- Add the graham wafer crumbs & sugar to the melted margarine
- Mix well until combined & all the crumbs are moist
- Press evenly & firmly into a 9 inch pie plate. You can use a smooth bottomed glass to press the crust firmly into the pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 8-10 minutes until lighted browned and fragrant
- Let cool on a wire rack completely before adding your filling. This allows the crust to firm up!
You must log in to post a comment.