Who wouldn’t want to only clean up one pan? Not only is clean-up easy but this chicken is outstanding-
One day I just did not feel like making potatoes and veg separately for dinner. Usually I put the potatoes and veg around my meat or cook them separately. I decided to roast the seasoned chicken overtop of sliced potatoes. I like a soft schmaltzy potato with crispy edges and that is exactly what I got with this recipe. When the chicken was cooked I removed it to a plate, turned the oven heat up to 400f and cooked those potatoes longer so they were nice and crispy around the edges. The carrots crisped up as well.
The recipe is easy to adjust! Depending on how many people will be eating it you can adjust the quantities of chicken and potatoes as needed! Also, you may need to make more spice rub if you are cooking a larger quantity of chicken.
Here is the recipe.
3-4 russet potatoes
salt & pepper
8 bone-in chicken thighs
oil to rub on the chicken pieces
2 tbsp paprika
2 tsp brown sugar
2 tsp white sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp dry mustard
Preheat oven to 375f
Use a baking pan that is not too much larger than the amount of chicken you have..
- Peel and slice the potatoes into 1/4- 1/3 inch rounds & lay them into the bottom of your pan where you are going to put the chicken pieces.. so more toward the centre of the pan. They do not have to be in a single layer. Season the potatoes with salt & pepper
- Clean your carrots then cut them into chunks. Put them around the edges of the pan
- Place the chicken thighs on the potatoes
- Mix the spice rub together and then rub onto the top and bottom of each piece of chicken. Using a pastry brush, brush each piece of chicken with a bit of oil
- Bake uncovered for approx 45 – 50 minutes or longer as needed to make sure the chicken is throughly cooked and the skin is nicely browned. Baste the chicken occasionally with the pan juices.
- When the chicken is cooked completely, remove from the pan and set aside
- Move the potatoes and carrots around a bit in the pan just so that they willl not stick
- Turn the oven heat up to 400f and continue cooking the potatoes until the are as brown as you like them to be!! I cooked mine for about 20 minutes ! Watch that they do not burn!