Such a quick dinner! This is vegetarian but you can always add cooked diced chicken to this if you want!
I had all of these ingredients in the house which made this a very easy & fast dinner.i had bought a package of tortillas, only used a couple so I froze the rest. I put pieces of wax paper in-between each tortilla then all in a zip-loc bag & then I could take out one at a time. I only had 3 left but this recipe makes 5-6 burritos so we are having left=over filling just on its own & it is good!
Easily adapted to what you have in the house… change up the type of vegetables & beans if you do not have what I have used in mine!
Without adding the cheese this dish is vegan. You would just have to check the ingredients of the tortilla … or just eat the rice & bean mixture without making this into a burrito~
Here is the recipe
1 cup instant rice… uncooked ( or you can use any rice you want… need 2 cups cooked rice)
2 tbsp oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced
1 1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables… ( or any vegetables you have, corn is nice because it adds sweetness to this)
1 can red kidney beans, drained
1 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp cumin
Sauce This recipe is based on the one on Martha Stewart
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup tomato paste
1/2 tsp cumin
2 cups water
salt to taste once the sauce is done
5-6 large tortillas
2 cups grated cheddar cheese… again use what type of cheese you like
- Cook the rice according to the instructions on the package & when it is done set it aside.. *** you can use 2 cups of any cooked rice you want
- Heat the oil in a large skillet
- Sauté the chopped onion until translucent
- Add the red pepper & cook for 5 minutes until soft
- Add the vegetables & spices. Cook stirring until all of the vegetables are cooked & everything is well combined
- Taste & adjust the spices to taste. When cooked set aside
- in a saucepan big enough for 2 cups of liquid, add the flour & baking powder & spices. Mix well. Turn the heat on medium & stir this until it comes together & is kind of ‘cooked’
- Now whisk in the broth… I found that i had lots of lumps but do the best you can to get them out.
- Cook on medium/low for 5-8 minutes until thickened. Stir often
- When done turn the heat off & stir well. Taste & adjust seasoning. Set aside
Put it all together!
Preheat oven to 400f
Get a 9 x 7 baking pan or 2 square pans baking pans.. Spray with non-stick spray
Take a tortilla & spread 1 cup of filling in a line in the lower 1/3 of the tortilla . Spread some cheese over the filling.. I used about 2 tbsp of cheese. Roll the bottom of the tortilla over the filling… tuck in the sides & continue to roll up. Lay the rolled up tortillas seam side down into the prepared dish. When all of the rolled up tortillas are in the dish put some cheddar all over the tortillas. Pour the sauce through a strainer over them so that they are covered in sauce. If you have any cheese left over you can put that on top or add more if you want!
Put in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes
Let cool briefly before serving