I saw a post on Instagram from @thepyperskitchen … Warm Charred Cauliflower & Brown Rice Salad with Dates, Capers and Feta and it looked very delicious. but….
I did not have many of those ingredients in the house so I used that recipe for inspiration & made a salad with the ingredients I had while using some of the same ingredients in the posted recipe. I also had a soft pepper in the fridge that I added in and a whole can of chickpeas instead of only a cup.. what would I do with the rest of a can of chickpeas..?.. hummus I suppose but I threw them into this salad
*** If you do not like quinoa use any grain you like. For a chewier texture Farro would be delish.
The original salad recipe is served warm with feta but Murray & I will eat it cold… a really good lunch recipe & I do not have feta…so not putting it in!
I am using the dressing from the original recipe since it is so good! & I am adding capers which are different but add a nice saltiness to this salad!
Here is my take on this great recipe from thepyperskitchen!
1 cup dry quinoa
3-4 cups finely diced broccoli
1 can chickpeas, drained & rinced
1 yellow ( or any colour) pepper, chopped
2 tbsp oil
1 tbsp honey
1/2 cup cut dates or you can use raisins or dried cranberries ** I like the dates in this but feel free to use what ever dried fruit you want
1/2 cup sliced almonds
2 tsp capers
1/2 cup tahini
4 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
4 tbsp water
1 tbsp honey
2 tsp dijon mustard
- Cook the quinoa according to the pkg., when finished fluff with a fork & set aside
- While the quinoa is cooking you will cook the vegetables & chickpeas
- Put the broccoli, chickpeas & pepper into a bowl, toss with the oil & season to taste… I just sprinkled on bit of garlic but use as much as you like… some kosher salt & the honey. Toss well
- Put onto a foil lined baking sheet
- The recipe said to broil the vegetables which is a great idea… so that is what I did…I put the baking sheet into the oven … on broil …for 15 minutes, watch them so they do not burn. …stir once during that time. Remove from the oven & set aside
- Make the dressing..taste & adjust seasoning
- Combine the cooked quinoa & vegetable/chickpea mixture
- Add the dressing…start with half of the dressing.. I put the whole amount in & it is very well dressed!!! I like lots of dressing but if you don’t then add a bit at a time until you have added as much dressing as you like!
- You can eat this warm or cold!
One thought on “Quinoa Broccoli Chickpea Salad”
This dressing sounds amazing!
You must log in to post a comment.