I really wanted to make soup but I did not have any carrots. Do you know how many soup recipes used carrots??? LOTS!!
I looked at some soup recipes I had saved in my google soup mailbox & found a recipe from Martha Stewart for Tomato Soup so I adapted that recipe & here is the recipe for Easy Tomato Soup that I made! So good & simple
This soup is vegan which is so great for everyone! Murray added some crushed up soda cracker… & next time he might just break up some sourdough bread to put in this!! i liked it just as it is!
2 tbsp olive oil
1 med onion, diced
1/4 cup flour
3 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 tsp dried thyme
salt & pepper
2 796 ml cans of diced tomaotes
4 cups water
4 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp dried basil
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil
- Add the diced onion & saute over medium heat, stirring often until the onion is translucent but not starting to brown
- Add the flour & tomato paste, cook for 1 minute mixing well. You want to make sure you cook the flour….
- Add the dried thyme, salt & pepper, stir well
- Add the canned tomatoes & the water, give it a stir
- Bring to a boil & then lower heat to simmer for about 45 minutes. Stir often.. (I burnt the bottom & it took forever to pick out the burnt bits of soup! So, remember to keep the heat medium & stir stir stir!)
- Turn the heat off
- Puree the soup with a hand blender
- Add the sugar & basil, Stir well
- Put the heat back on & slowly simmer for about 10 minutes
- Taste & adjust seasoning… you might need more salt…I did & more sugar if you like it to be a bit sweeter The sugar cuts the acidity of the tomatoes!